cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error cataloging Tape created with BE 8.5

Jeff_Dahlin
Level 2
I am currently running Backup Exec 10.0 Rev 5484 on a Windows Server 2003 machine. I am trying to catalog a tape that was backed up with Backup Exec 8.5 on a Windows NT machine. The cataloging runs until it hits the SQL Server backup then I get this message:

Job ended: Thursday, June 30, 2005 at 4:22:47 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008442 - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33858

When I refer to the link, I get a page not found message.

I have 2GB of RAM and Virtual Memory set to 4 GB. This error occurs only when it gets to the poine where it is cataloging the MS SQL Server backup.

My question, is there a way I can get it to catalog this? Or can I get it to skip the MS SQL Server data and continue cataloging the rest of the data on the tape? Or is there a way to copy the Backup Exec 8.5 catalogs from the Windows NT computer and have Veritas 10.0 read/import them on the Windows 2003 computer?
8 REPLIES 8

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I think the problem may be that SQL on the NT machine and SQL on the W2k machine are different versions, and the newer Agent cannot read the backups created by the older version. If so, this is a Microsoft problem, not a Veritas problem.

Check the SCL at http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264484.htm

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the abovesolution has helped. Do revert with the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jeff_Dahlin
Level 2
The SQL on the NT is MS SQL Server 7 and the SQL on the Windows 2003 machine is MS SQL Server 2000. Backup Exec 10 supports both versions. I am willing to lose the SQL Server backup data but I would like to get some of the other data off of the tape, which is past the SQL data on the tape. Any ideas on how I can do this?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Please go to tools>options> catalog. Uncheck the option 'use media based catalogs'. rename the catalog folder to catalog.old and try the catalog. This catalog will take some time since it will recreate the entire catalog information.
Teh agent does not come into picture during the catalog operation. So the previous solution seems ambiguous.
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Steven_Slusher
Not applicable
I am having the same probelm except with a BE 7.3 backup tape trying to catalog in 10. Did anyone come up with a solution to this. I tried the trick on unclicking use storage base media catalog and renaming the catalog directory but still get the error.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Please check if you have followed the same steps:

1) Stop and Backupexec services.
2) Rename the catalog to catalog.old
3) restart the backupexec services.(This will create new catalog folder)
4. Under Backupexec console go to tools options and click on the catalog tab and uncheck the box use "storage media based catalogs".
5. Run the catalog operation again.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Matthew_Hopkins
Not applicable
I'm also getting this message while trying to catalog an 8.6 tape. The old system no longer exists and I'm trying to catalog it from Veritas 10. I've tried your suggestion, but I received the same error. Any other options?

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Getting back to the original question, IF the original NT Backup Exec 8.5 server still exists, then you should be able to copy the files from the %installpath%\veritas\backup exec\nt\\catalogs to the new server. Stop and restart the backup exec services and then click on the Restore tab within Backup Exec. It should add all of the catalog information from the 8.5 version to the 10.0 version.
However if you don't want ALL of this information from the old server, just one specific tape, then you will need to Inventory the tape on the new 10.0 system and obtain the media ID by going to the media tab, selecting properties of the tape in question and annotating the unique media ID that was written to the tape by Backup Exec when it was initially utilized.- Then search the \Catalog directory of the original version 8.5 server for a file (*.U01) with the same media ID name. Copy only that file from the 8.5 server to the 10.0 server and stop/restart services.

There was a change in version 10 in the Catalog format- the new format creates many numerous *.IMG and *.FH files as opposed to the older version 7-9 *.U01 but version 10 is backwards compatible with the older files.

It's a really good practice to backup the \Catalogs directory everyday (after all other backups have completed) and store/replicate to a safe place in the event of a disaster/ backup server failure.