cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I associate a License key with a server agent installation

John_DeWeese
Level 2

I have a vista workstation that I wanted to back up. So I installed the BE agent on it, since BE is too stupid to tell you that you can't use the agent to back up a vista machine and finding this information isn't exactly easy in the very poorly organized support.

Eventually I was able to figure out that the "Device not authorized... etc" message was because they want you to pay large chunks of cash for a server agent license in order to back up a workstation.

I've done so and entered it into the License Key on our BE 12 media server.

However, when I try to run a back up that includes the Vista machine it still gives me the complaint about "Device not authorized" etc...

Do I need to some how associate the license key with the agent installed on the workstation? If so it's not at all obvious how to do so.

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Can you ping both ways by both machine name and IP address?

Have you set up publishing on hte RemoteAgent?  See page 892 in the Admin Guide

John_DeWeese
Level 2

I figured out what the problem was.

I had never turned on the Advanced Open File Option and BE 12 being the brilliant piece of SW it is, doesn't tell you "You need to install/turn on AOFO". It just keeps giving you the same error about not being "licensed".

Once I did the AOFO installation dance, things started working.

Apparently if you don't have it installed/turned on, BE 12 can't figure out that you in fact have a license key.