cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Store Backup.

MPNUH
Level 3
Hello.
this ones just to confirm in my own mind really.
We have a weekly full backup setup and then 4 differentials running nightly for the rest of the week. The mail server is Exchange 2003, is it correct that the mailbox store is always a full backup? if I look at a completed backup of say a random folder on the C: drive it will say differential, however if i look at the mailbox store each night it says (and has completed a) full backup (just to be clear i am talking about 1 job not 2 different ones for the Exchange c: drive and the mailboxes.  Now it does make sense seeing as it is obviously just doing a backup of the .ebd file as this would change daily but should it be a full backup or just the mailboxes that change? and is there a way just to get a differential of the mailboxes that changed instead of the whole lot every night?

Hope that makes sense
Thanks in advanced
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
It's a full backup of Exchange. I doubt there is a way around this. It's a full backup, allowing for GRT restores out of it.
The rest of your backup is obviously differentials like you have seen.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
It's a full backup of Exchange. I doubt there is a way around this. It's a full backup, allowing for GRT restores out of it.
The rest of your backup is obviously differentials like you have seen.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
I agree that i should be a full backup. If differential will do,you have to set to restore the last four differential backup then followed by full restore. I suggest to use rsg recovery storage group during restore.

gilbert08
Level 5
Partner Accredited
RSG is feature of exchange were you can allow to restore all mailbox on different exchange information store.

MPNUH
Level 3
Thanks for the responses. I thought it made sense that it would think it had to do a full backup of the .edb file as obviously one new e-mail a day would make backup exec see it as modified from the night before.

Thanks again.