cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media server in DMZ or open ports at firewall

impact1560
Level 2

We have some webserver or servers in the DMZ that need to be back up. Is it a best practice to place the media server in the DMZ or open the ports to allow the servers to talk with the internal media server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...with 2 media servers and 2 backup devices, I'd then put 1 outside the firewall in the DMZ, which means no additional ports being opened on your firewall.

Then set up your jobs as per normal and back them up.

Only issue you MIGHT have from the media server outside the firewall is sending alerts if the port SMTP uses is closed.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

If you place the media server in the DMZ and have servers behind the firewall that need backing up, you'd need to open port 10000 (RAWS port) anyway, so I'd just suggest doing that.

Unless you're able to have 2 media servers, this would be the way I do it.

Thanks!

impact1560
Level 2

I will have two media servers. One in the DMZ and another one in the internal zone. Do you have any other best practices/gudiance on this? 

Thank You!

CraigV

...with 2 media servers and 2 backup devices, I'd then put 1 outside the firewall in the DMZ, which means no additional ports being opened on your firewall.

Then set up your jobs as per normal and back them up.

Only issue you MIGHT have from the media server outside the firewall is sending alerts if the port SMTP uses is closed.

Thanks!

impact1560
Level 2

Thank You!