cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a Backup Job to a different Backup Destination on same Symantec CPS Server

EpiphoneDot
Not applicable

We are running Symantec CPS Server v. 12.5.  We're backing up almost 200GB of data from a total of 5 remote sites.  Each remote site is connected to the home office (where CPS server is installed) via T1 line.  The CPS server has a 3.5 Terabyte volume that houses the destination set.  While snapshots were working fine under CPS 11d, we started having all kinds of problems with them once we upgraded to 12.5.  We finally narrowed the issue down to VSS running on a volume greater than 2 TB in size.  Symantec recently confirmed to us that snapshots worked properly on larger volumes in version 11d, but there is a known issue with 12.5 on volumes larger than 2 TB.

We therefore want to move our jobs & destination set to a smaller volume on the same server.  We installed a 1.5 TB array and created a new destination set on it.  The textbook method of migrating the data to a new destination set is to stop each job, edit the job and change the destination set, then start the job.  While Symantec tech support advised me that it would not pull all of the data from the source server (e.g. remote server over T1 line), I found that CPS does in fact pull all of the data from the source server (e.g. remote site.)  My findings echo other postings on this forum.

My question is this - The data from each office is already synchronized on drive E.  How do I move this data from Drive E: (3.5 TB) to Drive L: (1.5 TB) and fire up the job so that it just picks up where it left off?  It seems senseless that I have to resync 200 GB of data that already exists on the home office CPS server.  I understand there are database issues involved here, but I would think the software should be able to handle such a task without going back to the source.  Has anyone successfully accomplished this with or without Symantec's approval?

I've read through similar posts on this forum, and found numerous other users with similar issues.  Most of the suggested resolutions are 2 years old, and presumably found with older versions than 12.5.  Does anyone have any experience with CPS 12.5 in this regard?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 REPLIES 0