cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Criteria Questions

PD001
Level 5

I being asked to provide searches for following criteria,

Search String #1 has an query for within 4 words of the second criteria. 

Search string #!

(Search Term #1 or Search Term #2) w/4 (Search Term #3 or Search Term #4)

Search String #2

(Search Term #5 or Search Term #6) and (Search Term #7 or Search Term #8) and (Search Term #9 or Search Term #10 or Search Term #11) and (Search Term #12)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can follow this, beware of the SQL Impact.

Enabling a Discovery Accelerator case for analytics

Article:HOWTO58760  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-07-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58760

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Could you give the example or screenshot of the search criteria to understand correctly.

Because if we consider 4 words present in second criteria and if there is bracket between two search string then it will be AND operation. and it will that many combinations.

Please share the screenshots.

PD001
Level 5

(Search Term #1 or Search Term #2) w/4 (Search Term #3 or Search Term #4)

I am looking for Search term 1 0r 2 Within 4 words of Search term 3 or 4. (Can DA do a search of one word within a certain amount of words of another?)

Thanks

Pat

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

I think DA can search ......... 

You can use following search string :

Search term #3 AND (Search Term #1 or Search Term #2) AND Search Term #4

pdunnigan
Level 4

Does DA allow Search string terms "AND" and "OR"?

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

You can refer :

Conducting quick searches
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58765

E.g.

bill AND sue
bill OR bob
bill AND NOT "bill smith"

pdunnigan
Level 4

I'm not seeing the "Quick Search" Tab, could you tell me what screen that is in?

Thanks

Pat

pdunnigan
Level 4

I'm running version 9.02, is this a 10x option?

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Quick search is not tab .......... It say how to save the time to running searches after providing the good search criteria using AND / OR operators.

pdunnigan
Level 4

I was going by the help screen explination below from DA

To conduct a quick search

1. On the Quick tab in the Search area at the left of the Review pane, set the scope of the search. You can do either of the following:

TonySterling

Quick search is only available if the case has been enabled for Analytics.

pdunnigan
Level 4

Thank you for all your responses. 

Pat

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

If you got the answer you require , could you mark the solution for thread which help you to resolve the issue.

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Greetings, PD001; As you are on EV and DA 9.0.2, there is a way to configure a DA search without having to enable Analytics for your Search #1; however, the way is a bit messy. With DA 9.0.2, you can separate search terms with an asterisk wild card (*) to represent a single word. So, to get (Search Term #1 or Search Term #2) w/4 (Search Term #3 or Search Term #4) into a DA search would be Term1 Term3 Term1 * Term3 Term1 * * Term3 Term1 * * * Term3 Term1 * * * * Term3 Term1 Term 4 Term1 * Term4 Term1 * * Term4 Term1 * * * Term4 Term1 * * * * Term4 Term2 Term3 Term2 * Term3 Term2 * * Term3 Term2 * * * Term3 Term2 * * * * Term3 Term2 Term 4 Term2 * Term4 Term2 * * Term4 Term2 * * * Term4 Term2 * * * * Term4 Unfortunately, we can't do your Search #2 without Analytics at this time. Sorry. Also, you can't run the above query in EV and DA 10 until you get to 10.0.4CHF1. Finally, you must be careful as the use of wild cards increases the complexity of searches in the IndexServer process that runs the actual search on the EV indexing server. If a search's criteria is too complex, the index volumes being searched can be randomly marked as failed while waiting for a response for query data. Having a well maintained and defragmented index volume.

PD001
Level 5

Thanks Kenneth,

I do not have Anaylitics enabled, is there much to enabling this option?

Pat

TonySterling

You can follow this, beware of the SQL Impact.

Enabling a Discovery Accelerator case for analytics

Article:HOWTO58760  |  Created: 2011-08-01  |  Updated: 2013-07-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58760

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Greetings and Happy New Year, Pat;

My apologies for not responding sooner.  I was out for the US holidays and just returned to the office today.

Tony is correct with the reference to the HOWTO article.  Enabling Analytics is fairly simple.  You just need to ensure you have the prerequisites in place and enabled.

Tony's caution about SQL impact is also valid.  Enabling Analytics on any DA Case will cause a lot of SQL activity as each item in the Case must be retrieved from storage and processed to obtain certain information needed for the Analytics tables and full text index that is stored on the SQL Server.

You also need to ba cautious about how many DA Cases you have enabled for Analytics at any given time.  This is due to the resources needed by Analytics processing.  We recommend only enabling Analytics on one or two cases at any given time while ingesting items into the database.  We've also recently encountered an issue where having Analytics enabled cases can cause DA Client reponse delays that are significant (i.e., up to 5 minutes to change from one tab to another).  As a workaround to this issue, we recommend only having one or two Analytics enabled cases at any given time.

FYI, when you disable Analytics on a case, all of the SQL resources used are released.  The temporary tables associated with the Analytics on the case are deleted and the Full Text index folder and files are deleted.  Having only one or two Analytics enabled cases at any given time helps to keep your SQL Server resources usage better in balance.