cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Server Migrations after Exchange has been moved

Steve_Bally
Level 4

All,

I have a situation where we had to move ALL the mailboxes from Exchange 2003 --> Exchange 2010(long story), and all the EV accounts are still using the 2003 server for authentication.  Also, there are EV archives that have no mailboxes that are associated as well.  I know this is not an ideal situation at all.

I am tasked with upgrading from EV 7.5 --> EV 9.0.2 to talk to the new Exchange server.  We are NOT going to archive any longer, this is just for legacy purposes.  I am going to perform the upgrade, I do not see issues with this.

Here is where the problems start, when I go to decommission the old Exchange Server in EV, there are several archives that still point to the old exchange server, plus all the orphaned ones have no mailboxes to provision, and there are duplicate entries in the EnterprisevaultDirectory DB. 

Is there a process or an article for cleaning this mess up?  I know it sounds like alot, but I am sure that we are not the only company to remove mailboxes and keep archives

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Really all that should need to be done is to use the SynchInMigration registry key, clear the ExchangeMailboxEntry table, remove the old exchange server and make sure to target the new one correctly Then after a successful provisioning you should be able to sync the mbx's no problems Archives with no mailbox anymore cos the user has left will be no problem
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Really all that should need to be done is to use the SynchInMigration registry key, clear the ExchangeMailboxEntry table, remove the old exchange server and make sure to target the new one correctly Then after a successful provisioning you should be able to sync the mbx's no problems Archives with no mailbox anymore cos the user has left will be no problem
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Before migrating users from one Enterprise Vault (EV) managed Exchange server to a new Exchange server, an archiving/retrieval service/task must be created for the new Exchange server and also ensure that the Vault Service Account (VSA) has all the corresponding permissions necessary on the new Exchange server as it did on the old.
 It can be useful to make EV automatically assign migrated mailboxes to existing archives. 

There is a DWORD registry value, SynchInMigrationMode that controls whether the automatic association takes place. Create SynchInMigrationMode under the following registry key on the Enterprise Vault Server BEFORE starting the mailbox migration to the new Exchange server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents

If the Windows Servers operative system is 64 bit, add the key to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents

0 — (Default.) Enterprise Vault does not assign new mailboxes to archives that are associated with the same legacyMbxDN values.

1 — Makes Enterprise Vault assign new mailboxes to archives that are associated with the same legacyMbxDN values.

2 — Creates new entries for the new mailboxes and renames the old entries by adding timestamps to the legacyMbxDN fields.

SynchInMigrationMode affects only the association between user mailboxes and archives; it does not affect the association between journal mailboxes and their archives.
This generally helps when migrating mailboxes from one server or mail store to another, in order to prevent duplication of entries in the ExchangeMailboxEntry table.

Note: Please refer to the EV Installing and Configuring guide for steps on adding & configuring the Exchange server services/tasks.

1. Configure the EV permissions on the new Exchange server. This can be completed before the move.

a. Make sure you add the VSA to the Local Administrators group on the new Exchange server(s).

b. Refer to the documentation for your Enterprise Vault version for applying Exchange server permissions.  These can differ greatly between versions (for environments with Exchange Server 2007 or later you can use the PowerShell script from article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138606).

c. Make sure the VSA is not part of any Active Directory (AD) Admin type groups. It should only be a domain user.

Reason: The domain admins group has explicit 'Send As' and 'Receive As' permissions DENIED.

2. Configure an Outlook profile on the EV server that can logon to the new exchange server.

3. Configure a new task under 'Tasks' to connect to the new server name.

4. Move the users.

a. Sync the users on the new server using the synchronization tab.

b. Check EV functionality. Verify the user can access their vaulted items and verify that the user can vault items if this is allowed.

Once migration of mailboxes has occurred EV will need to be synchronized against the new Exchange servers.

NOTE: If you apply the registry key AFTER migrating the account, then you need to follow the next steps after you add the key.

1. Restart Enterprise Vault Admin Service and it's dependencies

2. Go to the EV Console and enable the mailbox.

3. Run the Provisioning Task

4. Synchronize the desired mailbox on the Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for the right Exchange server.

5. Double check on "Display Policies Assigned to Mailboxes" option that the user now belongs to the correct Exchange Server and the right policies and provisioning group.

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Also refer to below article link for your 1st issue i.e. EV accounts are still using the 2003 server for authentication

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147386&key=50996&basecat=TROUBLES...

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited

1. Stop all EV Services.

2. Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, browse to the "EnterpriseVaultDirectory" database, browse "Tables", right-click over the "ExchangeMailboxEntry" table and select "Open Table".

3. Identify the rows/records to be deleted by comparing the references to the Mailboxes, between the mentions in the events above and in the Fields/Columns "LegacyMbxDN", "MbxDisplayName", MbxAlias" or "MbxNTUser" from the "ExchangeMailboxEntry" table.

4. Select all the rows/records to be deleted.

5. Right-click over any selected row/record, select "Delete" and click "Yes" to confirm.

6. Start all EV Services.

Ensure to take the backup of Directory database priore to do changes in the DB

Good Luck...

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Steve,

"I am tasked with upgrading from EV 7.5 --> EV 9.0.2 to talk to the new Exchange server.  We are NOT going to archive any longer, this is just for legacy purposes.  I am going to perform the upgrade, I do not see issues with this."

If you are no longer archiving, why not give your users 2 folders in their Outlook. 1 targeting Archive Explorer, and 1 targeting Search. (using http://evserver/enterprisevault/archiveexplorerui.asp and http://evserver/enterprisevault/search.asp) (meaning that when a user clicks on that folder, it opens the respective webpage)

This way, you do not need to upgrade (as the webpages are web-based!), and you can uninstall the client on the workstations..

Regards. Gertjan