cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journaling Archiving for Mirapoint server (IMAP accessed)

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

A customer has a Mirapoint messaging server appliance (never heard of it before). They are trying to archive Journaled messages and that mailboxes are accessed through IMAP.

I answered first that they may configure journaling to an external mailbox in an Exchange box so it can be archived by Enterprise Vault but I was wonderinf if EV´s IMAP support would help.  I don´t think there´s something like Journaling Archiving to a mailbox accessed through IMAP (I may be wrong) but maybe the internal Mirapoint Journal mailbox may be archived once a day an configure EV to just delete te archives items from the mailbox.

I have not tested yet IMAP support so my question is: Should that work? If not I will suggest adding a mailbox on a new Exchange server to catch jounaled messages in order to be archived by EV.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks JesusWept,

Do you know if the SMTP server in EV 11 SP1 will need to run in a dedicated box or... Will it be possible to set it up in an existing EV server?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The IMAP server EV uses is purely for accessing archives, unlike the SMTP server in EV11 SP1 where you can point an SMTP server to forward messages to EV and it archives from there, rather than from a journal mailbox.

So yes, while you can technically move items in to IMAP, it wouldn't work well at all in a journaling capacity, your suggestion of setting up a mailbox for the items to be forwarded to and have EV connect to that like a journal mailbox is by far the best idea

However, I don't think you'll be able to set it up like a journal mailbox, for the fact that Exchange journaling does Envelope Journaling, and the messages you'd most likely get won't have a traditional Exchange Envelope, and just have the message itself and no envelope and possibly run into issues about it not being formatted correctly

So you may need to create a regular mailbox archive, set it to archive anything older than 0 days and set a schedule that runs every 15 minutes, as opposed to 1 minute

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The other option would be to set up SMTP archiving.  The MiraPoint appliance should be able to capture emails and forward to a location (Journaling) for storage. 

The SMTP Archiving feature allows third-party applications to enter data into an Enterprise Vault archive via SMTP messages. It enables Enterprise Vault to capture and archive these messages at the point of delivery to a Microsoft SMTP Server, and so operates independently of the messaging solution that you employ.

For example, you may have messaging or workflow applications in your organization that use SMTP to communicate with users or other applications. Increased compliance legislation may require you to archive such communication and make it available for auditing. Using SMTP Archiving, you can capture and store the messages centrally. Then you can search, view and, if necessary, restore the messages by using facilities such as Enterprise Vault Search.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Well the SMTP server for SMTP archiving is EV11 SP1 in January of next year
Or you could use traditional SMTP journaling but that functionality will be pulled in the near future so isn't a long term solution, but i suppose you could switch to the new smtp journaling if that will suit the needs

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks JesusWept,

Do you know if the SMTP server in EV 11 SP1 will need to run in a dedicated box or... Will it be possible to set it up in an existing EV server?

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Witsend. SMTP Archiving is the way to go but we´ll do the architecture based on EV11SP1´s SMTP fucntionality based on EV roadmap.

JesusWept3
Level 6
You can use an existing server, no need for a dedicated one, personally I would if it were me, just to make things a bit easier especially with troubleshooting or any other kind of performance issues

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks a lot JesusWept!