Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating back to mailbox blows out journaling database

EKZP
Not applicable

Hi All,

Currently my client is using EV9.

I am migrating some 1000 users from Ex2k7 to Ex2k10. The client wants to use Exchange Personal Archives and remove Enterprise Vault.

It all seems to be working just fine except when migrating archived items back into users' live mailboxes, the journaling database is blown out. It looks like the Export Archive Wizard creates and sends brand new e-mail messages identical to those in the archive, causing the same messages to be journaled again.

Another issue is that after migrating items back into the mailbox the stubs aren't deleted. In fact, if I repeat the migration a couple of times, I end up with the stubs as well as as many copies of the same item as many times I run the wizard. You'd think that by v9 this would have been a mature and robust procedure. Nice one, Symantec :) However this is the least of my concerns as I have ways to handle it.

My greatest concern is journaling: I found no documentation on the internal workings of the export wizard, so I am a bit in the dark. I am trying to keep away from PST files to minimise file handling and human error as it isn't me who does the bulk migration. Therefore my preference is to move items back to mailboxes and let Exchangee move them into the archive.

Has anyone been hit by this issue? Is there a way to prevent it from happening without using PST files or turning off journaling?

Thanks,

Zoltan

3 REPLIES 3

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Zoltan,

The export wizard does not send mails to the Journal Mailbox. For example I just did the following test:-

1. Archived mail called Test1

2. Restored the item so it was no longer a shortcut

3. Exported the archive to mailbox which exported the mail

4. Checked the journal mailbox and as suspected it was empty.

To deal with your other comments:-

Another issue is that after migrating items back into the mailbox the stubs aren't deleted

This is correct the export process does not look at shortcuts and delete them as this is an export process so why should it partake in deleting shortcuts?

In fact, if I repeat the migration a couple of times, I end up with the stubs as well as as many copies of the same item as many times I run the wizard

Again this is correct as the process does not interrogate the mailbox to see if the same item exists. If you do a migration multiple times you will indeed see the multiple mails

I found no documentation on the internal workings of the export wizard

Essentially it is just restoring the items back to the mailbox. You can actually see the log details by running a DTRACE against the MigratorServer oricess.

Regards....Paul.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I have done some exporting to original mailboxes and this what I have found (using EV9 SP3):

- The export archives to their original mailboxes does and should remove the shortcuts. Technically you are restoring back to the original mailbox. Most of the shortcuts are being deleted by this process, what I have found is that if the archive existed was prior to EV8 and shortuts have been moved within the mailbox and the shortcuts have not yet been updated by the database then the shortcuts won't get deleted. A dtrace should confirm this. In this case you'll have to clean it up manually. In fact in some cases this is how I fix the orphaned shortcuts or shortcuts that do not work after having gone through all the troubleshooting that I can think of.

- Restoring to orginal mailboxes does not pass through the jornaling mailbox in exchange, this should not happen anyway. I have just tested this as well, and it is not the case in my environment...I would suggest you raise a ticket with Symantec and investigate this further as this may be a bug if you are experiencing this issue in your environment specifically.

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

One possiblily to consider is that Exchange Managed folders could be contributing to the journal "explosion".  Does the customer have any Exchange managed folders configured with a setting to foward items to the journal?

This is about the only Exchange/EV feature I can think of that could cause this.

-Karl