cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a Vault Store partition

ph1llies05
Level 4

Good morning all,

I'm attempting to move some of my closed partitions to a CIFs share in order to free up some drive space on my direct attached storage using the following tech article   http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35742

After I restart the EV services and take EV out of backup mode and test opening a archived message that I know is located on the closed stores that was moved, I get an error stating "Could not show this item.  Try again,  If it still fails, contact your helpdesk.  The item is no longer in the vault.  The system cannot find the file specified"..  Once I change the path back to original location, I'm able to open the same archive message without issue.

I have verified that my EV service account is able to access the location of the partitions on the network share.  I'm not sure what I'm missing in the process.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

so you should verify this path holds the cab file Collection136.cab.

\\iiaherna002\ia_ev_data_1\Enterprise Vault Stores\Herndon MBX Vault 1 Ptn1\2009\07-10\E\Collection136.cab

Also, as your storage folks what permissions the VSA account has, they should give it Full Control.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified

That article is way out of date. Try reviewing this one and see how it applies to you: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO56431 (ignore the title of the article as the principle remains the same)

If you are running V8+ make sure that the regkey entries referenced in the previous article have been deleted from your server as well otherwise they will interfere with any backup mode operations you may perform.

ph1llies05
Level 4

Thanks for the reply.  I checked the updated tech document you sent and it seems that I'm following the same steps to update the partition entry  table for the new location of my closed partition.  When adding the unc path is this the correct format:

local path

H:\Enterprise Vault Stores\Herndon MBX Vault 1 Ptn1

UNC path

\\iiaherna002\ia_ev_data_1\Enterprise Vault Stores\Herndon MBX Vault 1 Ptn1

TonySterling

can you access the folder via that path from the EV Server?

\\iiaherna002\ia_ev_data_1\Enterprise Vault Stores\Herndon MBX Vault 1 Ptn1

ph1llies05
Level 4

Yes, that's the wierd part.  I can access the unc path without any issues while logged into my EV server and EV SQL server as the EV service account.

TonySterling

So have you copied over all the partitions you are changing the path for?  It could be that item you are testing with wasn't actually copied over.

ph1llies05
Level 4

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I have actually completely copied four partitions to the network share.  I can't really tell if this is effecting all of the partitions, but I get the same error when attempting to open multiple arhive messages from the closed partitions.

Could there be an issue with permissions on the CIF share?  We have another group in our organization that manages our network shares, so I don't know if the permissions where assigned properly.  I did request that the share location be created with the same permissions as the local stores on my server.

TonySterling

Do you see any errors in the EV App log, particularily with the Storage service.

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified

If you try to create a new 'closed' partition that points to the share do you get any errors? If not compare the settings for that partition as well to the ones you have moved and confirm everything looks as you would expect within the DB.

If it all looks as expected then get a dtrace of Storageonlineopns when trying to retrieve an item from one of the moved partitions so we can have a look and see if anything obvious shows up as to why its failing.

ph1llies05
Level 4

I will attempt a dtrace in the AM when hardly anyone is in the office and I can restart the EV services and report back.  These are the error messages from my retrieval attempts this morning.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Storage Online
Event ID: 6838
Date:  4/10/2012
Time:  7:41:33 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: IIAHEREV01
Description:
Failed to recall a Saveset from its Collection.

Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.  [0x80070003]
Relative Saveset Filename: 2009\07-10\E\0DD\E0DD4DBD6E0CEC0FF68EB25F65ADA801.DVS
Relative Collection Filename: 2009\07-10\E\Collection136.cab
PartitionEntryID: 1055E57B66B17B848A5F8D223BDCD214E1q10000herevault01
PartitionGUID: 055E57B66B17B848A5F8D223BDCD214E
Partition Root Path: \\iiaherna002\ia_ev_data_1\Enterprise Vault Stores\Herndon MBX Vault 1 Ptn1
Secondary Location: 
Migrated File Id: 
Reference: NSDR/LMF

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

Event Type: Error
Event Category: Storage Online
Event ID: 7083
Time:  7:41:33 AM
Description:
Retrieval of saveset failed.
Archive Id: 18F13CE53D5BCE2429CC8B563039E6F5F1110000herevault01
Transaction Id: E0DD4DBD6E0CEC0FF68EB25F65ADA801
Extended information: The system cannot find the path specified.  [0x80070003]
Internal Ref: Vault/RI

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

Event Type: Warning
Event Category: Web Application (WP)
Event ID: 6287
Time:  7:41:12 AM
Description:
Unable to fetch item from "herevault01.IA.DOI.NET".
Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.  [0x80070003]
Saveset Id: 200907100000000~200512061439040000~Z~E0C7502D186FBA698E3D3D155E3A2541
Archive Name: John Doe/CONONON/AAA/DDD
Reference: [GOAFS]

ph1llies05
Level 4

Just as an fyi I currently have the reg settings outlined in the following tech article concerning memory manager

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53153

TonySterling

so you should verify this path holds the cab file Collection136.cab.

\\iiaherna002\ia_ev_data_1\Enterprise Vault Stores\Herndon MBX Vault 1 Ptn1\2009\07-10\E\Collection136.cab

Also, as your storage folks what permissions the VSA account has, they should give it Full Control.

ph1llies05
Level 4

Morning guys,

Okay, I'm a bone head.  After checking the complete path of the cab file in the error message I found that the file wasn't on the share.  After further investigation it appears when copying the vault store to the network share it didin't complete.  The network connection must have dropped or something.  I'm going to attempt another copy and hopefully it will complete.  Once again, thank you guys for all your help.