cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple mailbox archiving polices and provision groups

Itegral
Level 6

Guys, quick one....please..

I have two provisioning groups - 1) Production, based on whole exchange organisation 2) test, based on test users

I have created two mailbox archiving policies 1) default i.e. 3 months older and 2) test i.e. 0 days older 

The policies have been assigned to the respective provisioning groups as above.

Issue:

The test users are also covered by Production provision group. When I am running the archiving task for selected test users only, it is picking up default archiving policy instead of test. I changed the test policy as default but no luck.

How can I deal with this situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to move the Test provisioning group above the Production.  Right click Provisiong Groups in the left pane and choose properties.  You will be able to rank them from there.

This is covered in this Article:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO38086

Ordering Provisioning Groups for Exchange Server archiving

If you create multiple Provisioning Groups, the order in which they are listed is significant; the groups are processed from the top of the list down. Mailboxes that appear in more than one Provisioning Group use the settings from the first group in which they appear.

Ensure that the most specific group is at the top of the list and the least specific is at the bottom.

To reorder Provisioning Groups

1. In Administration Console tree, right-click the Provisioning Group container and select Properties.
  2. Use Move Up and Move Down buttons to rearrange the groups.

See Adding an Exchange Provisioning task for Exchange Server archiving

See Overview of setting up Enterprise Vault Exchange Server mailbox archiving

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

You need to move the Test provisioning group above the Production.  Right click Provisiong Groups in the left pane and choose properties.  You will be able to rank them from there.

This is covered in this Article:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO38086

Ordering Provisioning Groups for Exchange Server archiving

If you create multiple Provisioning Groups, the order in which they are listed is significant; the groups are processed from the top of the list down. Mailboxes that appear in more than one Provisioning Group use the settings from the first group in which they appear.

Ensure that the most specific group is at the top of the list and the least specific is at the bottom.

To reorder Provisioning Groups

1. In Administration Console tree, right-click the Provisioning Group container and select Properties.
  2. Use Move Up and Move Down buttons to rearrange the groups.

See Adding an Exchange Provisioning task for Exchange Server archiving

See Overview of setting up Enterprise Vault Exchange Server mailbox archiving

Itegral
Level 6

Tony,

The test provisioning group is still picking up production archiving policy instead of test.

I want the test provisioning group to run the archiving task use the test policy.

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You need to sync the users for any provisioning changes by right clicking the archive task and selecting the sync tab. This updates the users hidden message.

You can check what policies are applied to a user at the server level  by right clicking 'Exchange' under targets in the admin console and selecting ' Display policies assigned to mailboxes'. Remember though that if you don't sync then the chnages remain at the server level and are not implemented at the client.

Itegral
Level 6

I did sync it and right now when I am checking "Display policies assigned to mailboxes" is still pointing towards default mailbox policy not the test.

TonySterling

So you changed the provisioning group order, did a run now on the Provisioning Task, ran a Synchronize Now from the Maillbox Archive Task and it still show the old policy?

Can you set the Provisiong to create a Detailed report and do the Run Now in Normal mode again on the Provisioning Task?  This should create a report we can look at to see if it is picking up your targets.

Itegral
Level 6

restart the server did the job...obviously after following the steps advised by you gents.

Thank you!!