cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

One EV 9.0 SP2 server archiving both Ex2007 and Ex2010 (and we still have some Ex2003 servers in the mix)

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Hi everyone.

All our users are still on Exchange 2007 and we have installed new Exchange 2010 servers. The plan of course is to move users from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010. But first we need to make sure that our existing EV server can continue archiving their mailboxes once they move.

The Exchange 2010 servers are in a 2+1 DAG (two production and one DR in a separate data center).

The Exchange 2007 and Exhange 2010 servers are in the same AD forest and same AD site.

I have followed all the prerequisites (EV service account's mailbox was moved to an Ex2010 server, ran the throttling script, ran the permissions script - all successful), created an EV system mailbox on each Ex2010 server, created Exchange server targets for each Ex2010 server, this automatically created the Exchange mialbox archiving tasks.

Oh, in order to be able to start the Ex2010 mailbox archiving tasks, I had to upgrade Outlook 2003 that is installed on the server to Outlook 2007. Tasks started no problem.   Also set the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\12.0\Outlook\Options\Mail\AttachmentMax = FFFFFFFF registry value for Outlook.

Enabled a couple of test Ex2010 mailboxes for EV archiving - no rpoblem.

Now, some problems:

- When I start Outlook 2007 on the EV server, it starts super slow. And it pops up the Valkyrie DLL error.   I have read some other threads about it. so ESM from Exchange 2003 is conflicting with Outlook 2007... got it.  The recommended course of action is to uninstall Ex2003 ESM.  But will this prevent me from archiving Ex2003?  (we only have Public Folders on Exchange 2003 servers and some of these PFs are being EV-archived)

--- For now I just disabled the Enterprise Vault add-on in Outlook 2007.

- Second problem is that when I try to manually synchronize one of the test Ex2010 mailboxes, the gears are just spinning and spinning and spinning - indefinitely. I let them spin all day long and they never completed the sync.  What's up with that, has anyone see this?

- Third problem is that nothing seems to be archived from the test Ex2010 mailboxes (I have them provisioned with a 0-day policy).  When I run a manual archive task against these mailboxes, I can see that the MSMQ A3 queue is incremented, but it never goes down.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

OK, it looks like the archiving problem was caused by the wrong version of MAPISVC.inf in the c:\program files\common files\msmapi\1033 directory. It was only 8 KB (the smaller one)

I found a bigger version in the C:\Windows directory and copied over to c:\program files\common files\msmapi\1033

Restarted all the EV services on the EV server and messages got archived. And MSMQ A3 queue went down to 0.

And synchronizing is completing now too.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

1/ No it won't stop you archiving from Exchange 2003.

2/ Could be related to the 'conflict' between Exchange System Manager and Outlook.

3/ Not sure on that one without further troubleshooting, DTRACE, etc.

Working for cloudficient.com

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks!  DTrace was my next step. Just will need to somehow isolate the existing Ex2007 mailbox archiving chatter from Ex2010... I guess I can stop the Ex2007 tasks and only listen to Ex2010 tasks.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Looks good ..

And yes mapisvc.inf problems with mixtures of Outlook and Exchange System Manager can be a pain.

Glad you got it sorted :)

Working for cloudficient.com

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

OK, it looks like the archiving problem was caused by the wrong version of MAPISVC.inf in the c:\program files\common files\msmapi\1033 directory. It was only 8 KB (the smaller one)

I found a bigger version in the C:\Windows directory and copied over to c:\program files\common files\msmapi\1033

Restarted all the EV services on the EV server and messages got archived. And MSMQ A3 queue went down to 0.

And synchronizing is completing now too.