cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User with more than one EV Vault store location.

EV_Novice
Level 5

Dear Experts,

I am faced with an odd problem.

We have a user, who sometime last year encountered troubles with her exchange mail file. It appears that the analyst handling the problem decided to give the user a new user identity and mailfile which consequently acquired its own new EV vault store. Nobody seems to have noticed that she was now separated from her previously existing vault store.

Now the user was able to work and her new mail was being archived to the new vault store location.

A year later, the user tried to find some old mail items and of course they are older that her current mail file and her current EV vault store!

She of course wants to access the old mail and is upset that they are not immediately accessible. Again the support analyst, a different one, this time, was unable to help beyond identifying that the mail being sought was not in the accessible exchange mail file or in the accessible EV vault store. He didn't realise that there is an older one still in place. The analyst has escalated the issue and of course I found both vault stores for the user.

I could give the user access to the older store. I can see, on the advanced tab, that the two vault store files have different unique hex identities, which gives some reassurance. Can you confirm that the current exchange mail file will only be archived to the newer vault store file and not get confused by there being another vault store with almost identical naming and identical user access. I just need confirmation that the unique hex identity is key to ensuring problems cannot occur ! How can I reduce confusion for the user, when she attempt to search in more than one EV archive file, where one is clearly not connected with her current exchange/outlook mail file ?

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi again.

What has happend is that if the user has gotten a new mailbox, she will have gotten a new guid. look for SynchInMigrationMode regkey for more explanation as to WHY it has happened

The new mailbox will be archived to the new archive. You can grant the user access to her old archive manually, which will also make her old shortcuts work (if she has any). EV will not get confused :)

Alternatively, you can export old archive, import into new archive, create shortcuts in mailbox (or not, and have her use Archive Explorer to find items)

Or, you can export old archive into new mailbox, let it be archived from there.

first option is easiest.

Update:

Check this article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/merging-data-two-ev-exchange-archives

Use Move Archive to merge the old archive into the new archive.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi again.

What has happend is that if the user has gotten a new mailbox, she will have gotten a new guid. look for SynchInMigrationMode regkey for more explanation as to WHY it has happened

The new mailbox will be archived to the new archive. You can grant the user access to her old archive manually, which will also make her old shortcuts work (if she has any). EV will not get confused :)

Alternatively, you can export old archive, import into new archive, create shortcuts in mailbox (or not, and have her use Archive Explorer to find items)

Or, you can export old archive into new mailbox, let it be archived from there.

first option is easiest.

Update:

Check this article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/merging-data-two-ev-exchange-archives

Use Move Archive to merge the old archive into the new archive.

Regards. Gertjan