cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault not archiving emails

Joe_Crouse
Level 3

Im sure this is a very basic question, Im at a Loss here and have no experience with this program so I am not even 100 percent sure what questions to ask. I Have 3-4 users for whom the Vault Archive process has stoped working, They have about half thier allocated email space full, When Draging and droping emails to their individual vault folders and they will not archive When Selecting the files individually in the vault to archive immediately they will either get "stuck" part way through the process. Looking for user side solutions to this problem...

7 REPLIES 7

Joe_Crouse
Level 3

I do know we are using version 9.01

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

which outlook version are you using? Do you see any errors in admin console of EV

Joe_Crouse
Level 3
we are using Outlook 2010 and exhange 2010. Which set of error logs and what SHOULD i be looking for. I got handed these 4 or so users when I started in this place... (Nobody know much about the program here the folks that KNOW about it are inaccessable to me.)

Joe_Crouse
Level 3
am having this issue with more people Have rebuilt profiles, removed the vault plugin, reloaded the plug in rebuilt the vault Reset the vault cache. (after enabling the vault cache for these users for whom the vault cache seems to be enabled).

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Joe - a few questions:

a. You say you have Vault Cache (VC) enabled. Do you have Virtual Vault (VV) enabled as well? You can confirm this by checking the Outlook and see if there is a 'Vault - <Username>' tree available.

b. If you do have Virtual Vault enabled, when you state you are dragging and dropping emails in their 'vault folders' are these located under the 'Vault - Username' tree, or are these 'vault folders' located in the mailbox itself?

c. If you are moving these items to Virtual Vault (VV), check the Search Folders under VV for the items in the 'Could Not Archive' and 'To Archive' search folders. Depending on the folder these items are in, it would show if the item is awaiting to be archived/synchronized or if there was a problem with storing it.

d. If the 'vault folders' are in the mailbox itself, these are called EVPPM Retention folders which are handled by the Archive Task.

If the 'vault folders' are in the Virtual Vault, I'd recommend getting a client trace on the machine and attach it here so we can review it:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187468
How to perform a client trace for Enterprise Vault (EV) with Outlook 2010/2013

On a side, you may want to plan out an upgrade of EV. 9.0.1 is an old version and there were a number of fixes for EV, VC and VV through 9 and 10. (Current release is 11.0.1 CHF2)>

I hope this helps!

Chris

Joe_Crouse
Level 3

a. You say you have Vault Cache (VC) enabled. Do you have Virtual Vault (VV) enabled as well? You can confirm this by checking the Outlook and see if there is a 'Vault - <Username>' tree available.

Yes Virtual Vault is enabled in all cases.

b. If you do have Virtual Vault enabled, when you state you are dragging and dropping emails in their 'vault folders' are these located under the 'Vault - Username' tree, or are these 'vault folders' located in the mailbox itself?

The Vault folders are in the Email in box itself they then get Compressed then duplicated down to the Virtual vault for storage (emails will appear in both places in the inbox folder and in the virtual vault) when synchronized.

c. If you are moving these items to Virtual Vault (VV), check the Search Folders under VV for the items in the 'Could Not Archive' and 'To Archive' search folders. Depending on the folder these items are in, it would show if the item is awaiting to be archived/synchronized or if there was a problem with storing it.

d. If the 'vault folders' are in the mailbox itself, these are called EVPPM Retention folders which are handled by the Archive Task.

The EVPPM retention folders that you speak of are supposed to compress then send to the virtual vault every day over night however THIS is not happening. That is the main problem which I am dealing with . Which coupled with the patheticaly small allowed inboxes causes folks to be consistantly over the inbox Size limit anywhere from 400 megs to 2 gigs if you are an executive and we count the vault size to your Inbox size as well. Which means among other things that once you hit a certain mailbox size... you have to start dumping emails in the trash...

If the 'vault folders' are in the Virtual Vault, I'd recommend getting a client trace on the machine and attach it here so we can review it:

No way in H*LL my manager or the security agreements i have would allow such I have to be very circumspect what i post here. As for rolling out newer versions of software HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH forget it. ONE that decision would be over my head by several layers, 2 would not involve me except as a monkey to go out and install the software.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited
.....Looking for user side solutions to this problem.....

I'm afraid that this more than likely will not happen,
EV is an Enterprise level product and most trouble shooting is carried out on the Server side, even during a 'manual archive operation in Outlook' the actual Archiving process (success and any failures) are going to be happening, and logged, on the Server.

At the very least you need a matched Client Trace along with EV Server Dtrace during an Archiving Run against these mailboxes.
If you can't upload here or open a Support case with us then I suggest you open the client trace and start looking for anything that includes the word 'Error' or '0x' and then doing some investigation on the web, or pasting what you can do here and seeing if we can glean anything from it.
Unfortunately though there are a few 'red herrings' that are seen in logs so you may well be chasing those for a little while if you decide to investigate on your own.

I would recommend ignoring VV/VC at this point in time as you are adding a layer of complexity that you do not need, if a manual archive operation against a single mail is failing, as you stated in your opening comment, then start with that.

The archive process is:-
1) Turn item pending
2) Attempt to go through the Archiving process on the EV Server
If step two fails then we roll back the pending item to normal again, if it succeeds then we either turn to fully archived or wait for a backup of the archived item then turn fully archived.
So as you can see it appears that the problem is more than likely going to be seen on the EV Server according to your comment below:-

When Selecting the files individually in the vault to archive immediately they will either get "stuck" part way through the process

Some things for you to look at - admittedly on the EV Server but...
What does the Archiving Report say about these mailboxes?
Are they even enabled for Archiving still?
Are the Archives open/accessible still?

There are so many server side questions that need answering you are going to be banging your head against a brick wall until you can get access to the server to check this.
Even if it is a single mailbox issue, for example a corrupt hidden message on the mailboxes, you still need to correct this using the EV Server or at the very least the VAC.