cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command line backup verification Not show exchange backups only OS.

Jonathan_Lamber
Level 3

Hi,  I have a exchange and OS backups setup on a client and when I try to run a backup verification on the client side using the bpclimagelist.  I am ony getting the NT backups and not the exchange backups.  Does anyone know what I need to do to get the exchange backup to show up?  Maybe I have something setup wrong on the client side or what am i doing wrong. I have tired this on a few of our customer environment with the same results. 

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

c:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclimagelist -t full
Backed Up         Expires       Files      KB     C Sched Type   Policy
----------------  ---------- -------- ----------- - ------------ ------------
08/11/2012 21:01  09/15/2012    42186    10949535 N Full Backup  X_DP-NT-X

c:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>

any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jonathan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to combine name and type?

bpclimagelist -client <Virtual name> -ct 16

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you tried

bpclimagelist -ct 16 -server <master>

I find im my environment unless i give it more information i miss some backups as well.

Try this technote

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO43770

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I would imagine that Dougs answer is spot on. You do have to be very careful with the options you do or don't supply. Unfortunately there's no overall consistency in some of the options/defaults

NetBackup has a tendency for certain commands to require the use of certain options, otherwise it defaults to ... well, the default!

e.g. the following is true for bplist:

-t policy_type

Specifies  one  of  the  following  numbers   that
          corresponds  to  the policy type. The default is 0
          for all clients except Windows, where the  default
          is 13.

0 = Standard

4 = Oracle

etc etc etc

whereas for yet another command, bpimagelist, the coding is somewhat different:

-pt policy_type

Specifies a policy type. By  default,  bpimagelist
          searches  for all policy types. policy_type is one
          of the following character strings:

o    Informix-On-BAR

o    MS-Exchange-Server

etc etc etc

I know it's not totally relevant to the point in question (bpclimagelist T/N already covered by Doug), but just a little supporting documentation that follows the same lines:

DOCUMENTATION: A listing of policy types and how they are used with bplist and other VERITAS NetBackup (tm) commands.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH27299

Jonathan_Lamber
Level 3

Doug and Andy Thank you for respond and I am sorry for my late responds.  I was out sick.  

I do the bpclimagelist -ct 16 on the client side but i get nothing back. 

c:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclimagelist -ct 16

Tired it by policy type and i get the same out put

c:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclimagelist -policy X_DP-NT-Exchange-X (changed the name but it is the policy)

This could be the same issue that we are having with the inconsistency between Exchange and NBU as to what constitutes a failed backup.  I have a ticket open for that and waiting to hear back from support. 

Marianne
Level 6

What Status code is seen in Activity Monitor for Exchange Backups?

Jonathan_Lamber
Level 3

Getting a status 1 code (error below) for two of the 6 database. I feel that it is something on the exchange side, but since I only care about the NB since I wanted to make sure everything was fine on my end. 

Error bpbrm(pid=3536) from client server: ERR - failure reading file: Microsoft Information Store:\DB02\Database (BEDS 0x0: )

Warning bpbrm(pid=3536) from client server: WRN - Exchange Validation for 'Microsoft Information Store:\DB02\' failed.  Please refer to the backup and application event logs for more details.

from power shell it shows that the backups have not happened since the 8th and we run full's every night

Name LastFullBackup       LastIncrementalBackup LastDifferentialBackup LastCopyBackup

---- --------------       --------------------- ---------------------- --------------

DB02 8/8/2012 11:03:13 PM 8/12/2012 11:04:39 PM                                     

DB01 8/8/2012 11:03:13 PM 8/12/2012 11:04:38 PM                                     

DB03 8/8/2012 11:03:13 PM 8/12/2012 11:04:39 PM                                      

DB04 8/8/2012 11:03:13 PM 8/12/2012 11:04:39 PM                                     

DB05 8/8/2012 11:03:13 PM 8/12/2012 11:04:39 PM                                     

DB06 8/8/2012 11:03:13 PM 8/12/2012 11:04:39 PM            

So i think this is why i am not getting a respond when i type in bpclimagelist -ct 16, but i do not know.   They completed last night.  However, that was when Exchange had all databases on the right primary node and with VSS being bumped up. Again, I do not have control over the OS on these boxes I can log on to them but the customer is making all of the changes. 

Our NetBackup admin left our company and I am still getting my feet wet on this. So please forgive me if I sound like I do not know what i am talking about or if i am missing information.  I have only had experience from the GUI. 

Marianne
Level 6

Status 1 for a database is a failure.

You need to show Exchange Admins the errors that you have posted above. They need to fix this. 

NBU is merely reporting the errors, not causing it.

Jonathan_Lamber
Level 3

Does it matter if the client is 7.0.1  with the know issues with VSS in it?  Do you think upgraded to 7.1.0.2 would help?  Just asking the people that would know best!  cheeky

The reason I ask is because the customer changed the VSS setting to unlimited and the backup fished with a status 0 and database last night.  This is the only thing that has changed but I still cannot get a result from bpclimagelist -ct 16 but if i do bpclimagelist -ct 13 i get the OS backups. 

Marianne
Level 6

VSS belongs to the OS, not NBU. Windows 2003 in particular has various 'issues' with VSS and hotfixes are released on regular basis. Search Microsoft for VSS hotfixes for your OS version.

NBU updates and patches contain NBU fixes and features only - it does not contain VSS updates.

So, if there is a problem with VSS, you need to look for fixes on Microsoft Support site.

Most people use NBU without making any changes to VSS. As long as there are no VSS bugs, backups normally work without having to change any settings.

Are you able to run bpimagelist on master for Exchange client?

Jonathan_Lamber
Level 3

Marinne,  Great info.  I knew that VSS is part of the OS but from some reason your responds makes sense.   

Well when i run this is on one of the two server that are part of the DAG so maybe i need to do this on the active DAG which I haven't tried yet. I will keep you posted.  Thank you for your responds.  

Marianne
Level 6

You have now mentioned DAG for the first time.

Can we assume that backup is done using the Virtual name in the policy?

If you do not specify Virtual name with '-client <client_name>' in bpclimagelist command, the local nodename is sent to the Master.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Marianne, sometimes in troubleshooting a technical problem one has to put on psychology hat as well:

"what else are you not telling us?"  blush

Jonathan_Lamber
Level 3

Yes I am put in the virtual name but still not getting any of the exchange backups and I am only seeing the NT backups.

c:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclimagelist -client Virtual name 

Then if I check the OS backups it works with no issue (See below).  

c:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclimagelist -ct 13

08/20/2012 21:00  09/24/2012      438      573995 N Incr Backup  X_X-NT- physical server

08/19/2012 21:00  09/23/2012      328      542581 N Incr Backup  X_X-NT- physical server

08/18/2012 21:00  09/22/2012   100450    12818999 N Full Backup  X_X-NT- physical server

Nothing

If I check the backups on the virtual all I get is the NT backup

c:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bpclimagelist -client Virtual name

08/20/2012 21:00  09/24/2012      438      573995 N Incr Backup  X_X-NT- physical server

08/19/2012 21:00  09/23/2012      328      542581 N Incr Backup  X_X-NT- physical server

08/18/2012 21:00  09/22/2012   100450    12818999 N Full Backup  X_X-NT- physical server

I do not know if it is something I am wrong (more than likely) or if it is NBU not seeing the exchange backups.   I can see them in the GUI. That’s why I am confused.  So it is not seeing the Virtual client name at all.  I have the physical server and Virtual client listed in the source client under Specify netbackup machines and policy type.  Has anyone else had this issue?

Marianne
Level 6

Have you tried to combine name and type?

bpclimagelist -client <Virtual name> -ct 16

Jonathan_Lamber
Level 3

AWESOME!!!  So i am an idot!  I do not know why I didn't try that!  GRR  I am so Embarrassed blush!   Thank you Marianne!  

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

As I said

You do have to be very careful with the options you do or don't supply.

wink