itsonlyme4
Level 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot use bprestore.

Use the NBU for SQL on standalone server to create a restore script.

Else, use this TN as guideline on how to use bplist output to create SQL restore script on the destination: 

DOCUMENTATION: How to use the bplist command to manually create an SQL restore script.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23166 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

itsonlyme4
Level 2

We are running SQL Server 2008 R2 in an Active\Passive Cluster on Windows 2008R2.

We now have the need to recover this Server and it's Databases at our Disaster Recovery site.

We will NOT be setting up the Cluster at the Disaster Recovery site, only a standalone Server which we will recover the Databases to.

We are running Netbackup 7.5 and the 7.5 Client (SQL Server Agent)

on our cluster, the SQL Server connection properties page in the Netbackup Client looks like this:

Host:  SQLServerInstancename
Instance: Default
SQL Server version: 2008 R2
Security: Mixed
Host type: virtual
Userid: sa
password: sapassword

and this is our backup script:
OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "SQLServerInstancename"
NBSERVER "BackupServername"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 6
BLOCKSIZE 7
POLICY Onsite_SQL-Cluster_Database
BROWSECLIENT "SQLServerClusterName"
NUMBUFS 2
VERIFYOPTION STOPONERROR
ENDOPER TRUE

My question is this:

I know I can go to any server and configure the Netbackup client and pull up the Databases available for restore on the clustered instance.

What I am struggling with is pulling up the list using BPLIST so that I can then use BPRESTORE to do a redirected restore.

for BPLIST I have tried the following:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bplist -C SQLServerInstancename -t 15 -S BackupServername -k Onsite_SQL-Cluster_Database -s 06/07/2015 0:00:00 -e 6/12/2015 00:00:00

and

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>bplist -C SQLServerClusterName -t 15 -S BackupServername -k Onsite_SQL-Cluster_Database -s 06/07/2015 0:00:00 -e 6/12/2015 00:00:00

and each time I got this error:   EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found

Can anyone help?  I'm sure I just have a syntax error or maybe a missing parameter?

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Firstly, where are you running the command from? Then, do you have altnames or no.restrictions configured if its not the Master where you're running the command.

To start, drop the -s and -e. Try with

bplist -C SQLServerClusterName -t 15 -S BackupServername -R /

itsonlyme4
Level 2

Thank you SO MUCH.

I ran the command from the standalone Server that I want to restore the Database to like this:

bplist -C SQLServerClusterName -t 15 -S BackupServername -s 07/10/2015 0:00:00 -e 07/14/2015 00:00:00 -R / >bplist.txt

Here is an example of what I got back in the bplist.txt file
Clusternodeserver.MSSQL7.SQLServerInstancename.db.ActiveAdministrator.~.7.001of001.20150710000010..C:\

Can you help with the syntax for using bprestore to restore this Database to my standalone server (redirected restore)

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot use bprestore.

Use the NBU for SQL on standalone server to create a restore script.

Else, use this TN as guideline on how to use bplist output to create SQL restore script on the destination: 

DOCUMENTATION: How to use the bplist command to manually create an SQL restore script.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23166