Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude List in Netbackup 6.5

NolanE
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi,

I have created a exclude list for a client that exclude the d-drive for all policies this has been working for some time now.

Now I have created another exclude list for the same client that excludes the mdf and ldf files for a specific policy, I have noticed that the d-drive backup is running again.

Is the a specific way to setup the exclusions so that it always exclude the d-drive or do I have to add the d-drive to all the specific policy exclusions?

Here is how I have set it up.

<<All Policies>>
                <<All Schedules>>
                                C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
                                C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
                                C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock       
                                C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
                                C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*
                                D:\         
Application_Daily
                <<All Schedules>>
                                *.ldf
                                *.mdf

Nolan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

In this case create a exclude list per policy and add only what you want to exclude for that specific policy, this way you avoid any confusion and you know exactly what are you backing and excluding under every single job.

regards.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
What is in the Backup Selection for Application_Daily?
I know it doesn't make sense, but it sounds like NetBackup will not apply both exclude lists if you specify the policy name explicitly.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

From your description what I understood is you want particular path to exclude for a specific client for all policies

For this you can enter the exclude path under Client ost Properties under All Policies.

Refer to below mentioned screenshot for your reference.

imagebrowser image

For more infromation on exclude list, refer to Page Number 410 from NBU Admin Guide I

Hope this helps you...

NolanE
Level 4

Thanks Guys

What I have seen in the Admin guide is that if you have 2 or more exclude lists Netbackup only uses the one that is the most specific.

Now that I understand this can you please tell me the following?

If I exclude the mdf and ldf files for all policies will my sql backups via the sql client still work and backup the databases successfully and only skip the mdf and ldf files when I backup the local drives?

Nolan

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Are you backing up the same host with SQL and file level also??

You can add the mdf ldf to specific policy. Just add it under the policy name instead of All Policies

NolanE
Level 4

The client that I backup have a C:\, D:\, E:\, F:\ and G:\ drive where the SQL databases are on the E-drive, so when I run a policy with the selection ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES I don’t want to backup the mdf ldf files as they get backed up with the agent and also I don’t want to backup the D-Drive.

I have created the exclude list for all policies to exclude the D-drive and then created another exclude list that excludes the mdf ldf files but then it started to backup the D-drive again, as I understand the policy specific exclude list is the most specific it uses that and seems to ignore the exclude D-drive from all policies.

What I want to know is that if I exclude the D-drive and the mdf ldf files from all policies will my SQL database backups that I backup with the NBU SQL agent still work fine?

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
As far as SQL backup is concerned I don't think that NBU backs up the database as files. It uses SQL native tool for backup.

So just enter the both exclusions in one exclude list and check the SQL DB backup by running it manually.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

In this case create a exclude list per policy and add only what you want to exclude for that specific policy, this way you avoid any confusion and you know exactly what are you backing and excluding under every single job.

regards.