cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: querying NBU Db using MS Access (SQL)

luisvidal
Level 5

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. Back on my TSM days, I was able to use an ODBC entry to connect to the TSM Db, and run queries from it using MS Access. Is that possible with the NBU Db?

Is there a Db schema for the NBU Db? So, we can see what tables and fields we need to query?

thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - there is the nbdb_unload command somewhere (bin or admincmd) that does the same thing

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sounds scary to me - not sure if it will allow more than one login to the database so you could conflict with NetBackup itself.

What sort of information do you want to pull out of it?

There are commands to do just about everything

There is a way to see the full schema and a database login but just wondering why you need it - i feel that i would not want to be responsible for what happens if i gave you the info!

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

between the commands you can use

and OpsCenter reporting - you should be able to get just about everything.

what info are you trying to get.

luisvidal
Level 5

lol, Mark, great response. The commands are great, but exporting the results to Excel takes a bit of work (drag-and-drop) fields to a query from a table--as in Access--is super easy and convenient.

I must apologize if I offend someone with what I am about to say, but OpsCenter sucks! It is nice when you are manipulating few master servers, but when it is a big enterprise, it is slow as a turtle. Too many menus to go thru, and so on...

Don't worry, I will sign a disclaimer if you need me to  ;) 

thanks,

luisvidal
Level 5

J,

I am trying to get amount of data backed up in a specific policy for a period of time (week, month, etc.). Want to do some easy trending, without having to log in to OpsCenter, selecting the Master I need the info from, going to reports, and customizing the report that I need to run daily or weekly.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - you asked so totally on your own head here are some clues .... based this as being on Windows but you havent said either way ...

run <installpath>\netbackup\bin\NbDbAdmin.exe

Select the NBDB

Go to the Tools tab

In the Unload section select Export

Browse to a directory where you want the information and choose between schema or data and schema

Click OK

You now have the schema and the login password

Read the reload.sql file - it gives you a good idea of what everything is and the structure.

Hope this helps but again this is for informational purposes only and any issues cause are you own responsibility - also advise a full catalog backup prior to you first attempt to connect to it.

Having said that - if it does what you want it may be of interest what results you get so update this thread or drop me a line with what you acheive

luisvidal
Level 5

Thanks, Mark. Sorry, I guess I should have specified that (environment). No, I am running NBU 7.1.0.2 on SLES 10 SP3. However, I do have some Masters that are Windows in my enterprise.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - there is the nbdb_unload command somewhere (bin or admincmd) that does the same thing