cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know which media is having the backup (for doing restore)

s11
Level 4

NBU 6.0MP4 on Windows Server 2003.

I need to restore some files for client X from a backup taken 3 months back. I do not know which media is having the backup. How do I know the media ID which is having the backup? Once media is identified what steps need to be done for restoring same?

Would appreciate your valuable replies.

Thanks.

BNetra

9 REPLIES 9

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

Hi,

use BAR (Backup Archive Restore ) window from your Master or from client X, specify

Master

Source client

Policy type (MS windows NT(Windows) or Standerd (for UNIX))

Destination client

Date period.

this will give you list of files that are available for restore. select the files you want to restore and click on  PREVIEW button to view list of media thqat will be required to perform restore.

Note : if your Master server is Windows then you will not have PREVIEW button, you will have to start restore and check detailed status of the restore job to find out which medias you require to restore.

Alternatively explore bpimagelist it may give you some hints.

s11
Level 4
There is no 'Date Period' in the BAR either on Master Server or Client. Version NBU 6.0MP4 on Windows Server 2003. In such case how to know the media?

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

Hi

Refer to below link for complete steps on how to perform restore.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279270.htm

Stumpr2
Level 6

from command window

$INSTALL_DIR\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpimagelist -help

syntax will be something like

bpimagelist -media -client $CLIENT -d mm/dd/yyyy -e mm/dd/yyyy

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

When using the GUI

Do all your steps to do the restore to the point that you have checked the files you want to restore.

Instead of starting the restore, click the preview button or Actions/Preview media.....

this will tell you all the tapes the backup images is on.

s11
Level 4

Thanks for your replies. Further:

Hi Bob Stump,

bpimagelist is giving 'no entity was found'.

Hi J.Hinchcliffe,

The backup is not listed in the backup history (may be expired) in BAR. Then what to do?

If I want to restore from a backup which is expired and I do not know which media is having the backup what is the way out? I only know the client and the date of the backup.

Thanks.

Venki
Level 2

how do you know that images are expired without knowing which media the images are in ?

Stumpr2
Level 6

Carefully inspect the clientname you are using. shortname/FQDN/Backup_NICname

If bpimagelist says no entity found, 

then all images have expired 

between the start date " -d " and the end date " -e "

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

@s1 wrote:

If I want to restore from a backup which is expired and I do not know which media is having the backup what is the way out? I only know the client and the date of the backup.

When a backup expires, Netbackup removes the image information from the catalog.  Unless you've kept separate track of it, or have other data like vault logs, Netbackup cannot tell you where it is any longer.

If you have older backups of your catalog (from before the date that the image expired), the information would be available there.  Of course, if the entire media has expired and is available in the robot, it could have been overwritten after that time.

--

Darren