cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing images

felonious_caper
Level 5

Symantec had me expire and delete a tape (that i would later import).

Anyways, I pop the tape in to reimport it. Onto phase 2, the import was "partially successful".

And so it turns out that there were more fragments of that image on another tape (which had not been deleted) So i decided to initiate phase 1 on that tape.

Now when i go to initiate phase 2 again, it tells me both tapes have images on them. Phase 2 fails with Cannot import backup id m4-gig_1328320400, the fragments for copy 1 are not consecutive.

Upon further inspection, I see tape 169 contains fragments 1-57 and tape 41 contains fragments 97-98.

I ran an "images on tape" report and looked up that back up id number and it simply lists those to tapes, with that gap in fragments. Where could they have gone? The only tape that was deleted was 169 with fragments 1-57 on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So it appears you have tape 1 and 3 but are missing '2'.

Images on tape is not helping as tape 2 is missing, for whatever reason.

So ... here we have an issue, we have a missing tape, and no easy way to find it ... you have a couple of options.

1.  If you have the bptm log for when that backup ran, you might be able to see which other tape was used, this info would also be in nbjm.

Better option ...

Note. DO NOT DO A CATALOG RESTORE.

If in the BAR GUI, you set the 'Policy type' to nbu-catalog, you can browse the catalog backups as if they were normal backups.  Do not overwrite the real catalog, but restore to an alternative area ...

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

OR (f you know the client)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<client name>/1328000000

You can then look in this dir for the file :

<policy_name>_1328320400_<FULL> (or INCR)

If you look at the lines starting FRAG  , the 9th field shows the media id.  Look for your missing tape here.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

when you expire a tape with bpexpdate you are really expiring all IMAGES on the tape,

so all info about those images are removed from the catalog  even if they are on other tapes.

as you can see why would you only expire part of an image, you cannot use the part on another tape, so when you do the bpexpdate it expires the whole image - and removes all references to other tapes as well.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

So it appears you have tape 1 and 3 but are missing '2'.

Images on tape is not helping as tape 2 is missing, for whatever reason.

So ... here we have an issue, we have a missing tape, and no easy way to find it ... you have a couple of options.

1.  If you have the bptm log for when that backup ran, you might be able to see which other tape was used, this info would also be in nbjm.

Better option ...

Note. DO NOT DO A CATALOG RESTORE.

If in the BAR GUI, you set the 'Policy type' to nbu-catalog, you can browse the catalog backups as if they were normal backups.  Do not overwrite the real catalog, but restore to an alternative area ...

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images

OR (f you know the client)

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<client name>/1328000000

You can then look in this dir for the file :

<policy_name>_1328320400_<FULL> (or INCR)

If you look at the lines starting FRAG  , the 9th field shows the media id.  Look for your missing tape here.

Regards,

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When did you delete the images (expire the tapes)?

If in the last few days (dependant on yoru log retention) and you know exactly when did it you should be able to run an All Log Entries report for that period and see comments when tapes were being deassigned - search for the one you do know and find the other one(s) that were deassigned at the same time

Hope this helps

felonious_caper
Level 5

Option 2 worked like a charm

felonious_caper
Level 5

Thanks for the help guys, I was under the impression it would just expire images on that particular tape, not the images that spanned across other tapes as well

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

an Image is the complete backup job - so say the backup of drive E starts on tape A1 and finishes on tape A2 - they are the "same image"  just parts a and b.  when you expire an image you expire all parts of that image.