cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBEMM not starting (error 334)

Nyebodnye
Level 3

Windows Server 2008R2

If I do nbdown -f -v followed by nbup -f -v on the master server I get the following from vxlog -o 111 -t 00:05:00

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>vxlogview.cmd -o 111 -t 00:05:00
09/07/2015 13:31:17.134 [Error] V-111-1049 EMMServer generic error = This host i
s not the EMM Server. NetBackup EMM Service will not start
09/07/2015 13:31:17.134 [Info] V-111-1045 [NBEmmSvc::doShouldStart] This host is
 not the EMM Server. Netbackup EMM Service will not start.
09/07/2015 13:31:17.134 [Error] V-111-1049 EMMServer generic error = controlledR
un() failed -> doShouldStart(), doInitialize() or doRun() failed
09/07/2015 13:31:17.149 [Info] V-111-1003 [EMMServer::fini] EMMServer shutting d
own

How do I tell it which is the EMM server ?

Any help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nyebodnye
Level 3

Fixed by support call.

Thanks for everyones suggestions

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Nyebodnye
Level 3

I meant bpdown and bpup

version 7.6.0.4

nbemm.exe is not running

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>nbdb_ping
Database [NBDB] is not available.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>admincmd\nbemmcmd -listhosts
NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.6.0.4

doesn't come back to me

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
So, what happened between the last time this server was working fine and now? Hostname change or someone changed entries in Registry? On a master server, all of these names must match : hostname EMM server Master server The last 2 are entries in the registry where the master name is the 1st Server entry.

Nyebodnye
Level 3

Backups are done on several servers to local storage, then replicated to a central location.

One of the local storage RAID arrays lost two drives. From what I understood the central storage was the media server. Am I wrong in thinking this and is the master server also the media server ?

Hostname hasn't changed and I've not been in the registry.

Where do I check in the registry for these matching names ? or is there something I can do to diagnose the nbdb not being up ?

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
You firstly need to know if this is a master server that is also a media server or if this is just a media server under control of a master server. You should have a site config doc or at least a site diagram that shows the NBU topology. Emm/nbdb only runs on a master that may or not be a media server as well. NBU entries over here: HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\

Nyebodnye
Level 3

OK, the server I am on and running admin console on has a name which includes the word 'master'

There is another server I am sure the backups go to which has a name which includes the word 'media'

I am 100% sure the backups are/were going to this 'media' server.

Since yesterday, no backups have been taking place because the master doesn't know where the media server is or has lost something in it's database about where it is.

The master says emm has a problem, and nbdb also has a problem.

Our Netbackup guy is off on annual leave and everything has gone pear shaped.

I am reasonably certain my master server isn't the media server. I can't find any diagrams or site config docs. (I have looked) 

What I think is the media server doesn't have EMMS services running, it just looks like storage/shared disk.

The first thing I think I need is to get nbdb back up again ?

We do have a hot catalog backup

Should I log a support call ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you look in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion

You should see an entry for the emm server.

You can check the matter and media, should be the same entry.

However if nbdb_ping fails, EMM won't start.

Usual cause is that the disk filed up and speed the DB, usually corrupting the transaction log.  Can you check for a disk full event (see event logs) 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

TECH27280 shows how to recreate the transaction log. 

If you look in server.log, when restarting  NBU it may show if there is an issue with the transaction log 

Marianne
Level 6
Have you checked the registry entries yet? The error in EMM log looks like a name mismatch somewhere : "EMMServer generic error = This host i s not the EMM Server. NetBackup EMM Service will not start" Probably best to log a Support call.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In addition to the above advice I would run a vaildate on the NBDB with nbdb_admin, when the database had suffered a disk crash.

And think you should log a support call as your backup & recovery service is down

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Nyebodnye
Level 3

Disk is not full, 15Gb free. No 2013 events in event log.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config has correct EMMSERVER key

MEDIA_SERVER key has all media servers including the one that has failed.

Nyebodnye
Level 3

Fixed by support call.

Thanks for everyones suggestions

Marianne
Level 6

Please be more specific and tell us HOW it was fixed?

The idea behind sharing problems on a product forum is to get help, but also help others that experience similar problems.

You will agree that anyone searching for a solution for error 334 will not find anything helpful in this post.

Nyebodnye
Level 3

Support looked in the conf files  - The master server is the emm server.

I had it pointing to the server with the name 'media' in it.

We changed the registry entry to what it was supposed to be.

Followed normal services restart and it is now back up again.

Marianne
Level 6

So - incorrect registry entry as per my initial thought, right?

Glad you got it fixed.