cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup for MaxDB - howto, manual does not explain

frankras
Level 3
Partner

Trying to get Netbackup to do a backup of MaxDB on a windows host, NBU manual does not explain which prereq that is needed when it is MaxDB, and backup fails with a message that external backuptool is not found.

Does it require BRTOOLS (brbackup etc... )

Doing as manual says, but it does not work.

Do Netbackup support MaxDB newest version ?

Anybody have a good idea or suggestions

Best regards

Frank

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would start here http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO48144  and then work through the associated links on that page

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not mention which manual you were reading?

Is this SAP on a MaxDB database? 
Which OS?
SAP and MaxDB version?

Which backup agent did you purchase to backup this db? SAP? or Application and Database?

If SAP on MaxDB , this manual contains info that should help you: 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5176 

See this topic on p. 135:

Using NetBackup for SAP on a MaxDB database to perform backups and restores

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO48144

frankras
Level 3
Partner

Hi All

Thanks for Your responses.

None of the DOCS that You refer to explains anything about this MaxDB installation and configuring - I have looked at all of them.

Reading this manual "NetBackup for SAP 7.5.0.6 Administrator's Guide" does not provide information about pre-req. and it does not clearly explain the configuration process when it comes to MaxDB , there are chapters about installing and configuring netbackup for SAP HANA and SAPDB and oracle , but not Maxdb, the chapter talking about the MaxDB is so bad that it is almost not existing.

MaxDB version is 7.8 , I don't know the version of the SAP , but it was upgraded to newest version (1 month ago)

OS is windows 2008 R2 SP1 (64 bit)

But maybe Netbackup don't support MaxDB 7.8 , and maybe there needs to be brbackup installed too - nothing in the manuals talk about this.

/Frank

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

There is a whitepaper that ws created for V5 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38335

It covers a lot of things to get it to work - it does indicate you need the backint tools to be installed first

frankras
Level 3
Partner
Hi Mark I already had a look at that yesterday, it does not say anything about brtools (brbackup etc....) it talks about backint.exe , but that is already in place. No documentation mentions anything about BRTOOLS when talking about MaxDB and matrix don't talk about which versions of MaxDB that is supported. we run MaxDB version 7.8 and Netbackup 7.5.0.6. I know that the MaxDB system is working, because from DB studio the db backup runs fine to local disk as file. But maybe Netbackup don't support MaxDB anymore and just forgot to tell customers about it. Buttomline is that Netbackup for SAP admin manual version 7.5.0.6 is useless, so is NetBackup support - as they say read the manual it describes it all - NO IT DON'T ! The manual describes installation and configuring of Netbackup for HANA, Oracle , but SQL is kind of forgotten and so is MaxDB. Best regards Frank

Marianne
Level 6

Seems we read the documentaition differently.  

Figure 1-5 on p. 23 is a diagram of components needed to backup MaxDB.

I see configuration steps starting on page 134:

Creating a backup medium for NetBackup for SAP 

It clearly says that 'The NetBackup for SAP on a MaxDB database does not include the SAP backup and restore tools'.  
This says to me that MaxDB commands/utilities must be used to perform backups.

On page 136 there are steps To perform a backup.

Are you working with the MaxDB dba for assistance?

Compatibility info can be found here:

NetBackup 7 Application/Database Agent (CL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126904

frankras
Level 3
Partner
Hi Marianne In NetBackup_AdminGuide_SAP.7506_V2 , I agree with the fine drawing on page 23. Problem is that it does not Work. Page 134 - 136 is talking about snapshot , I'm not talking about snapshots, I'm interested in normal Database online (hot) backup. And compat guide only talks about V7 , it don't talk about V7.7 V7.8 and SAP have changed a lot in 7.8.0.x I don't have a MaxDB DBA on my side - I have been doing this for 18 Years now ( in Networker ), with SAP on all kinds of DB types, and MaxDB earlier versions Works fine on Networker using this method. Haven't tried this version of MaxDB on Networker - but perhaps I should do it. /Frank

Marianne
Level 6

Again - we are either reading totally different manuals or our understanding of the manual is totally different.

Topics on p. 134 of http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5176  (NO reference to snapshot...):

About configuring NetBackup for SAP on MaxDB databases

Creating a backup medium for NetBackup for SAP

p.135:

Performing a MaxDB database backup

The following procedure shows you how to perform a MaxDB database backup
using NetBackup for SAP.

p. 136: 

To perform a backup
1 Make sure that you have modified the proper configuration files and created a backup medium.
2 Type the following command to start a utility session:
dbmcli> util_connect
3 Type the following command to initiate the backup:
dbmcli> backup_start medium_name backup_type
where:
medium_name   Name of the backup medium.
backup_type    Specify either DATA, PAGES, or LOG.

Have you tried this?

frankras
Level 3
Partner

Hi Marianne

manuals for 7.5 and 7.5.0.6 is totally different - I was looking in 7.5.0.6 manual on page 134 and 135 it talks about snapshot but the 7.5 manual is talking about creating backupmedia. So far so good - I did try all this - and I can get it to work with networker  both scheduled from networker server and from CMD line on MaxDB server. but NBU claims that DBMCLI is busy at the moment - which it is not.

Normal MaxDB databasestudio backup to local disk works fine - just not this NBU thing.

I have read all the docs - created all the required files, but does not work.

/Frank

Will_Restore
Level 6

Go back to page 53 in the 7.5 Guide and follow the steps for SAP configuration files