cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tapes and mediaid mismatch

rsm_gbg
Level 5

Hi,

Netbackup 7.1.0.3 on Solaris 10 using a media server with a Sun SL48 robot. (LTO4 tapes)

We don't add new media very often but yesterday I had to add a new monthly set of tapes (12pcs).
I made a new Barcode rule for the tapes and a new VolumePool for them.

MediaID = MOT001
Volume Pool = Monthly OS

I have a setting in vm.conf AUTO_UPDATE_ROBOT so when the mailslot is closed it automagically inject the tapes.
So I added the new tapes and waited for a while to let it finish.
The tapes turns up in the right Volume Pool (Monthly OS) that I created, the BARCODE is correct (MOT001L4)
BUT the media id is T0001L4 or something.
OK after deleting the tapes and in the Inventory Robot doing a Update Volume Configuration,
Everything goes OK and it puts them in the correct Volume Pool and the Media ID is MOT001L4.

So why didn't it do it correctly in the first place?
No big deal really but shouldn't it work?

I bet it is some obscure setting somewhere.

Thanks for any input.
- Roland

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your Media ID Generation Rule is correct, but if you are using a Remote Admin Console, you need to add the relevant entries to the vm.conf on the desktop/laptop as well.

Double-Check this setting on media servers as well if you happen to use GUI there.
vm.conf entry on all of these should have this entry in vm.conf:

MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS 0 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

See this blog: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/why-my-media-id-generantion-did-not-always-work-netbac...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

does new media ID really have 8 characters? Media ID can have up to 6 characters. Please chech new media ID again.

If new media ID is same with previous one, I believe you have never configured Media ID Generation Rule for this robot.

rsm_gbg
Level 5

Sorry I really don't understand what you are saying.

New Media (in robotinventory/advanced options) has "use barcode rules" ticked.

Shouldn't it use barcode rules and nothing else?

under Media ID generation I have "Barcode Lenght = 8" & "Media ID Generation Rule = 1:2:3:4:5:6"

Barcode is 8 characters Media ID is 6 characters

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your Media ID Generation Rule is correct, but if you are using a Remote Admin Console, you need to add the relevant entries to the vm.conf on the desktop/laptop as well.

Double-Check this setting on media servers as well if you happen to use GUI there.
vm.conf entry on all of these should have this entry in vm.conf:

MEDIA_ID_BARCODE_CHARS 0 8 1:2:3:4:5:6

See this blog: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/why-my-media-id-generantion-did-not-always-work-netbac...

rsm_gbg
Level 5

Well, I knew it was some wacky setting. This is what I call a BUG and I bet it bits everyone.

Thanks Marianne, helpful with all the answers as usual.

- Roland