cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle RMAN Backup

belse
Level 5

Hi All,

Need to know while creating RMAN scripts for Netbackup do we need to create 3 separate scripts on the oracle client for every backup?

i.e Full,Incremenal and Archive

2:- Or we just create one script on Oracle client and through netbackup policy we can select any backup type i.e full,incremental,archive?

Pls help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

out of the box, you have to create two scripts. one for full and incremental backups and one for archive logs.

I always create three scripts, one for each because most of my customers does not have enough oracle experts.

BUT, if you now scripting, you can read the atributes that netbackup passes to thescript and create a script that will do all.

View solution in original post

Will_Restore
Level 6

Our DBA uses one script for all backups, Full, Incremental, Cumulative.

Take a look at the sample scripts in <installpath>\ext\db_ext\oracle\samples\rman

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Use Netbackup 7.6 Oracle Intelligent Policies - no need for scripting at all.

With no background in the intelegent policies, it took me no more than ½ hour before I got everything working.

Highly recommended !!!

belse
Level 5

Yeah Nicolai Its true :)

But environment is old where scripting is still being used :(

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Upgrade it ...

Joke aside - what work for you. I personally would go for 3 different scripts.

Create one policies with schedules alone and no backup selection. Then 2 or 3 policies with a backup selection of the script you want to use.

Incremental backup can  take the same time as a full backup, so consider if needed.

StefanosM
Level 6

out of the box, you have to create two scripts. one for full and incremental backups and one for archive logs.

I always create three scripts, one for each because most of my customers does not have enough oracle experts.

BUT, if you now scripting, you can read the atributes that netbackup passes to thescript and create a script that will do all.

belse
Level 5

So is it mentioned somewhere in the script whether this oracle script is for full, Incremental or Archive?

StefanosM
Level 6

if you are referring to the netbackup sample scripts, it is in the file name.

inside, the difernece is in the rman commands

Will_Restore
Level 6

Our DBA uses one script for all backups, Full, Incremental, Cumulative.

Take a look at the sample scripts in <installpath>\ext\db_ext\oracle\samples\rman