cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Conecting with Remote Administrator Console

HEMANPR
Level 6
Hello Guys
I have some problem with Remote Administrator Console on my workstations. Past Week its everything working perfect but this week, all time was I try to connect to my R.A.C. I receive this message (See the attachment)
I add the users and machines names on the authorization area on the master servers.
I Add the machine name on servers area on the master server.
I add the ip for the master server in the windows HOSTS file on each workstation.

But I continue qith the problem. I remove the software and re-installing but the error continue.

How can I fix this??? Pls let me know THANKS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
11 REPLIES 11

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Maybe worth trying stopping/starting NetBackup.

***EDIT***

For info:

DOCUMENTATION: How to verify the required Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 daemons / services are up and r...

HEMANPR
Level 6
Yes Andy
I check all the services on teh master server and all are running.
The most strange here is the problem are on some workstations. I have 8 Workstation with R.A.C. , just 3 have this error.

Any other idea?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Use bpclntcmd to confirm as per the following:

unable to connect to the selected NetBackup host

There's also the following (which you've probably already checked?):

Connecting to the Windows Remote Administration console fails with connection errors ...

While you're looking throught these I'll check for a few more!! ;) (but it seems you've already checked most things)

***EDIT***
As a matter of interest what versions of NB and what OS's are involved here? (i.e. Master & "client" PCs)

HEMANPR
Level 6
Hello
Im running my master server on Windows 2k3 SP2
The workstations with issue Windows XP SP3

Version Netbackup 6.5.4

HEMANPR
Level 6
I check all what you send here But Not work. Its very strange really. But I need to fix this.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
If you're sure there wasn't any changes with NetBackup, and it's only affecting some of your workstations but not others, I have to turn my eyes towards the stuff outside of NetBackup - and that means network (including any firewalls between the machines) or DNS issues.

Andy has already pointed you to some good documentation that can help you eliminate some of the causes, but you may want to ask around and see if any other changes may have happened recently (service packs, firewall changes, DNS changes which haven't properly propogated out)

Have you enabled the nbconsole log on the master?  You may want to see (1) IF your workstations are connection and if so (2) how far they're getting.  bpcd and vnetd logs may help as well.

Good luck!

HEMANPR
Level 6
People
I follow the documentation srep by step and some times work and other dont.
I dont know what more I can chek for fix this. Its a really BIG pain

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I had/have this issue when using VPN and if I boot my pc on a different network.

Once you get a pc booted on the network,  from some place else  -- master server or another pc on the same network as the problem pc.... do nslookup and see if it is really reporting the same ip as you get from the pc...

VPN for some reason some times shows a different pc name...

and on the odd networks the DNS had an entry that did not get cleared out.  So from my pc nslookup would give me my ip, but from some place else that ip would not return my pc name.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats is a gotcha we came across. I installed the NB Admin Console on backup operators laptops, (BTW they have fixed IP addresses in the office - makes life easier).
In the office NBAC works fine, they take laptop home and VPN from Internet to Office. VPN assumes a new computer name and IP and therefore does not allow connection.

I provided workaround. Installed Remote Admin Console on development server or you could use a XP Virtual Machine, so any out of hours checks or admin should be done on that server/virtual machine. They remote desktop to that and control from there.

CRZ sounds close to the money. DNS and firewall or netconfig.

Some thoughts.......

Check your workstations network settings pass basic tests/diags
1) Compare the working machines to the non-working in their network config....
1a) If XP then Start/Run... cmd 
1b) type at the DOS prompt>  netsh diag gui
1c) Choose Scan your system.... this is a good solid test of your PC's network config, adapters, DNS servers
Review output with working to non-working. Fix any fails.

2) Run the nbsu utility on your workstations that work and fail then compare output.
Might highlight an area to look at.

3) Check your services file has not become corrupt or entries removed or entries superseeded those for NetBackup.

4) You could exclude the NetBackup processes from your anti-virus software in case this is interfering. MacAfee has a habit of this sometimes.
Turn off any 3rd party firewall product: Blackice defender, symantec protection agent etc

5) hostnames simple short names without spaces or strange characters

6) Create debug log directory for nbconsole - this will log entries for the admin console

HEMANPR
Level 6
The issue here are the services
Both Services Administration and Authorization need to be running on Master Server.

Thanks everyones for help

Will_Restore
Level 6

Yes Andy
I check all the services on teh master server and all are running.