Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMAN and Netbackup Oracle Agent

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

We are planning to use RMAN backups for databases, but not going to install Netbackup Oracle Agent. Can someone please let me know if this is possible and if yes what could be the disadvantages.

Also if you can provide me a good guide on how to configure RMAN on netbackup side as I will be dealing with Netbackup side configuration

Thanks !!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified
Thanks for replying .....it will be of great help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I am not a dba so I cannot tell you how to setup RMAN.

But I do that as well.

The dba's made a script to backup to disk.  Then I added to the script that when the backup to disk was done to kick off a user backup. (unix server)

I have a Oracle policy with a user backup schedule in it and my oracle servers listed.

Using the script to kick of the backup to tape, allows me to make SURE the backup to disk is finished before I start the backup to tape.

Advantage - I don't backup to tape if the backup to disk fails. (set the script to email that it failed)

the cron job kicks off both the backup to disk and to tape.

the dba's can comment out the cronjob to stop the backup if they are doing work on the database.  And can start it when they are done. (job is in the cron for the oracle user)

if they need to do a restore from the previous night it is still on disk.

only have to restore if they need the database from more then one day ago. ( I have never had to do this)

Disadvantage - takes up some more disk space to keep one backup copy on the server (but disk is cheap)

Vicente_Fukuda
Level 4

Hi

RMAN is the native backup tool of Oracle. 

NBU is used as a Storage Manager since RMAN doesn't know how to control tape drives, libraries, etc. Because of this, RMAN only let you backup your data base to disk.

The NBU for Oracle Agent let you use RMAN to do hot backups of your Oracle DB to tapes.

Anyway, you need a DBA to backup Oracle DBs because of RMAN.

Regards

Vicente 

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Oracle RMAN and NetBackup are two different products and can work independently. Oracle RMAN lets you deal with Oracle DB directly, you can backup to disk/tape or any storage defined locally on the server.

Whereas NetBackup agent for Oracle works in conjuction with Oracle RMAN and let you use NetBackup storage units as target for the backup, which means you do not need to have additional disk/tape drive on each and every database host. You can simply point RMAN to use NetBackup storage unit and it will send all the data to NetBackup and let NetBackup manage tape drives/media/disk storage unit etc. It also allows you to schedule your backups in more efficient way.

To explore more about NetBackup agent for Oracle, please download the guide from here

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified
Thanks for replying ...that means that all the configuration has to be done from DB team, there is minimal configuratiuon required from netbackup end ??

Jim-m
Level 5

Yep that's the idea ...make the DBAs do the work ...they can also check the backups from their end.

Plus they can create havoc if they want by starting backups when they feel like it. Control that with start windows 

Rohit_new
Level 4
Certified
Thanks for replying .....it will be of great help