cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup and restore through two different NBU(backup with linux and restore with windows)

psingh
Level 4

I am doing simple backup and restore via NBU such as backup from NBU on linux machine (master and media server both on same machine),

and restore from NBU on windows machine ( master is on linux machine and media is on windows machine).

I made Backup successfully and while restore , i found an error  " EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was found ".

Could anyone please suggest me the solution.

10 REPLIES 10

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Not clear what you are doing (restore).........pls give more details as below

what was client OS at the time of backup ?

what is client OS at time of resoration ?

Client OS should be same... but befor that you need to import media in to new master server.

take a look on below URL.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

Frederic_GERARD
Level 3

Hi,

Sounds strange to save from a linux and restore on a windows.

Anyway, it seems that you don't select the right backup type when preparing your restore : asking NBU for "ms-windows backup" history for a linux backed up with a "standard" policy, you'll get this error message.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same or different master? Was backup done by Linux master/media server and you want to redirect the restore back to the same or another client via a Windows media server in same ennvironment?

Or different master and media server in the restore environment?

Please give use a bit more info, for example:

Backup:
Master hostname (Linux): server1
Media server hostname (Linux): server1
Client hostname (OS?) : client1
Policy type: MS-Windows / Standard ?

Restore:
Master hostname (Linux): serverx
Media server hostname (Windows): serverxx
Destination Client hostname (OS?) : clientx

If we understand what you need to do, we can provide appropriate advice.

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31677

Assuming you are talking about restoring data from a Windows Client to a UNIX base client or vice versa, it is not supported.

However the details are sketchy, so I am not sure if that is what you are asking.

psingh
Level 4

Thanks for your reply.

Please find the comments inline.

Same or different master? Was backup done by Linux master/media server and you want to redirect the restore back to the same or another client via a Windows media server in same ennvironment?

>> I had two netbackup app , one on linux machine and other on windows machine. Linux NBU has master and media both as server (not as client).and windows machine has only media as server and its master is on above mentioned linux machine.

now I took backup via linux machine. it was successful. but when i tried to restore it via windows machine (which has only media server and its master server was on linux machine by which i took the backup), the restore operation became fail.

I have question , does it possible if i can take backup via linux and restore via windows or viseversa (with the same master-media and media server setup.)

Or different master and media server in the restore environment?

Please give use a bit more info, for example:

Backup:
Client hostname (OS?) : Linux (RHEL5.4)
Policy type: MS-Windows / Standard ? standard

Restore:
Media server hostname (Windows): server1
Destination Client hostname (OS?) : Windows 7 R2

If we understand what you need to do, we can provide appropriate advice.

Thanks & Regards,

psingh

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From here :

Backup:
Client hostname (OS?) : Linux (RHEL5.4)
Policy type: MS-Windows / Standard ? standard

Restore:
Media server hostname (Windows): server1
Destination Client hostname (OS?) : Windows 7 R2

Looks like you are wanting to restore files backed up on Linux, to a Windows machine.

This is not supported and wil probably not work.

This is an operationg system limitation.

Thanks,

Martin

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Backup is via NB and restore is via NB  so what type of media server does not matter it is still NB.

the thing is it was backed by Linux media server - so it "owns" the tape, any restore would by default be done by the media server who did the backup.   (is there a reason you NEED the restore done by a different media server?)

you can force the restore by a different media server - it takes a little work if you really need it - otherwise just let the same media server that did the backup do the restore.

psingh
Level 4

I had two netbackup app , one on linux machine and other on windows machine. Linux NBU has master and media both as server (not as client).and windows machine has only media as server and its master is on above mentioned linux machine.

now I took backup via linux machine. it was successful. but when i tried to restore it via windows machine (which has only media server and its master server was on linux machine by which i took the backup), the restore operation became fail.

I have question , does it possible if i can take backup via linux and restore via windows or viseversa (with the same master-media and media server setup.)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As VirtualED stated earlier there can be issues if you try and restore a Linux backup to a Window Server and it is not fully supported as per the link he gave.

To actually do it you are best to open the NetBackup Backup Archive and Restore GUI on your Windows Media Server (this shouldgive you full rights to re-direct the restore.

Go to File - Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type

Set the Server as the Master Server name, the Source server as the client that was backed up (linux client) and destination as the client the restore is to be directed to (windows client)

Select the files to be restored and then select Actions - Restore

In the options section that comes up choose to restore everything to a different location and change the unix path (such as /usr/tmp) to a Windows path (such as D:\Restore test\)

The issue can come if you have sub folders to be restored as it will try and complete the same structure which may not be valid on Windows so in that case you may have to select the option to restore individual files and folders to different locations.

This may allow you to do the restore but whether the files are actually of any use to you just depends on how the different file systems handle them

Hope this helps

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

From what you said this is what I think you have...

Linx master server

-----|----------

|               |

linux         windows

media        media

server        server

you take a backup of what?  are you backing up a linux box or a windows box -- and which media server is doing the backup?

now you want to restore that backup (need to still know if the backup was of a linux box or a windows box)   and which media server do you want to use to do the restore?  and where are you trying to restore it ?  back to the same server that got backed up?  or to a different server?