Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disaster recovery procedure

xpierrex
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Bonjour

je suis entrain de tester le disaster recovery entre deux sites différents.

Dans le Site1 : Nous avons un serveur  de backup  qui s’appelle  bkp1   (Netbackup 7.6) + robot SL150

Dans le Site2 : Nous avons un serveur  de backup  qui s’appelle  bkp2   (Netbackup 7.6) + robot SL150

J’ai fait un backup simple sur bkp1  (client=bkp1,serveur=bkp1,backup_selection=/rep1) sur la bande DT0001

Qu’est ce que je dois faire pour restaurer  /rep1 dans le serveur bkp2 ??

merci d'avance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello 

I am trying to test the disaster recovery between two different sites. 

In Site1: We have a backup server called bkp1 (Netbackup 7.6) + robot SL150 

In Site2: We have a backup server called bkp2 (Netbackup 7.6) + robot SL150 

I made a simple backup on bkp1 (client = bkp1, server = bkp1, backup_selection = / dir1) on the DT0001 tape 

What should I do to restore / dir1 in bkp2 server? 

thank you in advance

Hello,

You will also want to get a catalog backup on tape and the DR file to go with that. Recovery will be pretty straight forward. Run the recovery wizard at the DR site to import your catalog, and then once that is done, you can restore your simple backup image from tape.

For information on the process of getting your catalog backup setup, please read chapter 22 of the NetBackup 7.6 Administrator's Guide (DOC6452)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello 

I am trying to test the disaster recovery between two different sites. 

In Site1: We have a backup server called bkp1 (Netbackup 7.6) + robot SL150 

In Site2: We have a backup server called bkp2 (Netbackup 7.6) + robot SL150 

I made a simple backup on bkp1 (client = bkp1, server = bkp1, backup_selection = / dir1) on the DT0001 tape 

What should I do to restore / dir1 in bkp2 server? 

thank you in advance

Hello,

You will also want to get a catalog backup on tape and the DR file to go with that. Recovery will be pretty straight forward. Run the recovery wizard at the DR site to import your catalog, and then once that is done, you can restore your simple backup image from tape.

For information on the process of getting your catalog backup setup, please read chapter 22 of the NetBackup 7.6 Administrator's Guide (DOC6452)

xpierrex
Level 3
Partner Accredited

merci pour votre réponse rapide

dansle site1: nous avons configuré une politique pour sauvegarder le catalogue apres chaque session de sauvegarde;  le le répertoire de disaster recovery s'appelle  /disk2/save_catalogue

qu'est ce que je doit prendre avec moi comme fichier à partir  de /disk2/save_catalogue

aussi lors de restaure, est ce que je change le nom du client,server,...?

merci

xpierrex
Level 3
Partner Accredited

est ce que je doit faire cette modification ou non :

add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER to the/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file in the following format:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = from_host to_host

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Google translate: 

thank you for your quick response 

In the site1: we configured a policy to save the catalog after each backup session; the disaster recovery directory is / disk2/save_catalogue 

what should I take with me as a file from / disk2/save_catalogue 

also during restores, is that I change the name of the client, server, ...? 

thank you

is what I must make this change or not:

add FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER to the/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file in the following format:

*********************************************************************************************************************

For DR, your master server should have the same hostname as production site: bkp1 

You cannot restore the catalog backup to a different hostname.
DR master must have the same hostname, same NBU installation path, same NBU version and patch level.

About your catalog backup: the disaster recovery directory is / disk2/save_catalogue 

If my understanding is right, this is where the DR-file is written? And the actual backup is written to tape?
If this is correct, you need to configure email to get this DR-file sent to you. This DR-file must be made available at DR site in order to start the catalog recovery.
This DR-file contains the media-id of the tape used for the catalog backup.
The email will also contain step-by-step instructions on how to recover the catalog.
You may want to go through the 'Disaster Recovery' chapter in NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide  

After the catalog recovery, you can browse backups for source clients and restore to different hostnames or to same hostname, depending on whatis prepared at the DR site.

If you have multiple media servers at Production site but not at DR site, you can use  FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER to force restores to the master/media server at DR site.

Hope this helps.

xpierrex
Level 3
Partner Accredited

thank you very match,

i will try  to do this step by step and inform you