Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup unix

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi guys,

I want to install Netbackup on a Solaris 10 x64 machine, can i use this master server to manage both windows and of course unix machines.

I want to find out if i can deploy agent to windows machine and manage them from my master server on  a solarix box.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited
6 REPLIES 6

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

you can do it...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

from your Solaris master, just like any other mixed environment. You won't be able to deploy client updates etc across these OS "boundaries" though.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you are hoping to use the vSphere APIs to back up your VMWare estate then you will also require a Windows Client or Media Server to use as the VMWare Backup Host - but the Solaris Server is fine as your Master Server and will be able to do everything else (except deploy the clients to Windows Servers)

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

ANY combination of Master, media server, clients that are listed in the OS compatibility list is supported.

NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Just ensure proper forward and reverse name/IP lookup between servers and clients. Business should decide if DNS or hosts entries will be used. DNS is not used by default in Unix environments.
NBU does not dictate - all it needs is successful forward and reverse lookup at TCP/IP level as well as port connectivity.

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks guys

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please mark Solution if your question was answered....