cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 restore from disk question

EvanNY
Level 4

I am doing a Exchange 2007 mailbox restore in BE 12.5 from a back up to disk folder with extremly slow restore times at 5mb/sec.

We originally ran a GRT backup of our entire Exchange environment to tape.  We normally do not have drive space to backup to a folder.  So in this case I hooked up a USB drive and made a Backup to disk folder , and made a duplicate backup set of the tape.

The duplicate backup set ran just fine at about 1500mb/sec. 

Unfortuantely now the restore is going at about 5mb/sec.  We are redirecting to a different mailbox on our production server using the agent.

Any ideas why it could be so slow?  Any thoughts how to fix?  I have my tmp folders also on that USB drive.

Thanks for the help!

-Evan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EvanNY
Level 4

I have made some progress on my restore speeds.

I worked with symantec and we have tweaked somethings.  Most the service account permissions for the exhange system.  Apparently my BE service account only had view-only.  Not sure how it was still doing the restore.

We also excluded somet folders from Antivirus. 

Currently speeds are up to about 15-20mb/min.  Still not good but better. 

Thanks for all the help.

I will not be starting another topic..as my restore is blowing up the database!

-Evan

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hi Evan, You can check the parameters mentioned in the tn below: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH8326

Nups
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hi Evan, You can check the parameters mentioned in the tn below: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH8326

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Ideally when you perform Grt restore the throughput is slow compare to other restore , because exchange GRT restore uses MAPI to perform the restore, which is ideally very slow and limitation of MAPI protocol . The advantage you have running restore from disk is that you dont need to stage the mailbox store on the temp location before actually the restore starts.

refer   https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Evan: What sort of speeds do you get if you restore from your primary (ie. not duplicated!) B2D folder?

Thanks!

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

Where you resore your mailboxes?

CraigV

...the OP clearly states they are restoring to another mailbox on the Exchange production server.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

We need to check that server LAN speed and traffic status.  or we redirect to another and check the speed of restore job...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Any reason for marking down my comment  ?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Any reason for marking down my comment  ?

EvanNY
Level 4

I did not mark down your comment.  I do see a -1, but i wouldn't even know how to mark down a commment.

But thanks for your response. 

EvanNY
Level 4

We do not have any other B2D folders.  Sorry.

I can say...we had an fiber attached array that was a bit corrupt, so when we saw the 5mb/min restore rate, we disconnected it and hooked up this USB drive.  Still the same rate.

CraigV

OK, then it isn't your FC storage array or the USB drive. ANy AV on that server? If so, turn it off and try the restore again.

EvanNY
Level 4

I will look into this. I can say..I do know the LAN speed is fine, as we were copying some files recently, and were doing 10mb/sec.

EvanNY
Level 4

Yesterday afternoon i turned off AV on the backup server...had no effect.  Same 5mb/min, and it holds there..not fluctuation; As almost if a cap is set. 

I assume you are speaking of my backup exec server.  I would rather not turn off AV on my exchange server.

CraigV

Fair enough. Then check the AV on the Exchange server and make sure it isn't actively scanning your BE services (if the backup server isn't the media server, then you're looking to make sure beremote.exe isn't being actively scanned).

If it is, put in an exclusion for this...

10MB/s isn't particularily fast. Are your NICs on your servers hard-coded to the fastest they can do (ie. 1GB FULL) along with your switch ports?

EvanNY
Level 4

I will look at the switch ports.  

Turns out that 10MB/sec was from one PC to another on the LAN both with AV running and through remote desktop.  Probably not the most accurate test.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

What is switch speed, I fyour switch speed is 1Gpps, then you can hardcode your server end. then you will get the full speed.

- vicky

CraigV

...please read my post from 11 September where I already mentioned this!

EvanNY
Level 4

Switch and server speeds are correct.  No mismatches. 

Spoke with Symantec...still no help from them as of this point.  Hopefully speaking to them today.

As for other things i have tried...

We had an opportunity to reboot the active mailbox server...that did not help.

Tried to redirect to passive mailbox server, but being that info store is not running,. I don't think this can be done.

Tried restoring different media set...no difference.

I have not mentioned that we also run CA ArcServe...instant business recovery (IBR).  Basically this is a real time snapshot of our mail system. This snapshot is then sent off site to our disaster recovery site.  Do you think this has any effect on this restore speed?

Thanks again.

-Evan