cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The selected transport mode is unsupported by the current setup.

Vantage47
Level 3

Hi All,

On Friday night I set up a job on the Backup Server (we are using BE2010 R3), to backup all our Virtual Machines to disk.

Under the VMware option I have the following set:

Backup Method: Set to Full

Transport Mode Priority List: 1, SAN (checked) the rest unticked (NBD, Hotadd, NBDSSL)

----

The problem we have is that some of the VM's in the Backup to Disk job failed with the following message:

"Backup- VMVCB::\\VCENTRE01\VCGuestVm\(DC)Datacenter(DC)\vm\Production Servers\%servername%

V-79-57344-38283 - The selected transport mode is unsupported by the current setup.
VixDiskLib_Open(): Transport mode 'nbd' used for opening the disk."

This job has been running without issue for several months, however Friday many of the Virtual Machines failed with the above error, although some did complete without error. 

I have clicked on the link that BE provided, however it doesnt specifically relate to my error - ie it suggests use NBD for incremental/differential restores or that this is a problem relating to template backups.

Therefore can someone help? Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Thanks

Matt

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you checked the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130342

Vantage47
Level 3

I did see this but it says this only applies to Templates?

Also this doesnt explain how/why its worked for several months without that option ticked?

thanks though

Vantage47
Level 3

Can Anyone help?

Colin_Weaver

Have you actually checked that your SAN disks that hold the datastores are still presented to your media server?

Vantage47
Level 3

Of course I have checked, they are presented as the backup has since completed on the VM machines, however we still do not know why it failed with the transport error and as far as we are concerned it could happen again...?

Colin_Weaver

if you are saying that it is now working and it was a temporary failure - have you checked all the event logs and any logs pertaining to the SAN and network access to makes sure that some from of access interruption did not occur

BTW it is for these sorts of 'glitches' that we would recommend having nbd enabled as second in the list as then you will still get a backup if the SAN connectivity has a temporary interuption.