cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can find a directory path for restore

kproehl
Level 5

Hey everyone,

I am trying to do a restore for a Windows server using NetBackup 6.5.5 running also on Windows.  The file I am trying to find is under the F drive and if you look at the attachments I included the drive is included in the backup selection for that policy.  When I go to "Backup Archive and Restore"  it does not list the F drive as an option to restore.  

Has anyone seen or experienced something similar?  I need to restore a file for an end user and will not be able to unless i can figure how to get it to show up.

9 REPLIES 9

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You may need to check the client exclude list in case the F drive is exlcuded

Have there been any errors during the backup jobs?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Full Backup to restore from vs Differential?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

when you go into the BAR

select the most current backup all the way back to and include the last full backup - it will show by default only the most recent backup of each file.  A preview will tell you what tape you need.

kproehl
Level 5

So i did check and the F drive is not being excluded.  We are only running a full backup and only running that once a week.  in looking at the job details of the job it tells you it is going to back the F drive up but it does not actually back up that data.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please check bpbkar log on the client.

Does backup exit with 0 or 1?

Does the NetBackup Client Service logon account on this client have access to these folders? The default is LocalSystem, which might not be enough.

I have once in all the years of working with NBU seen a situation where a customer had successful backups for C and D every day, but could not browse/restore anything on D. I asked the customer to config a separate backup for D. The backup completed within a few seconds - sucessful, nothing backed up, not in exclude list...
After 2 days of troubleshooting and checking logs, I tried a user backup on the client of D-drive. The progress log showed something about FilesNotToBackup ...

Google search (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb891959%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ) made me look in the Registry. There we found it : FilesNotToBackup contained  D .
As you can imagine - NOBODY knew how it got there...

Unfortunately trying a restore is the wrong time to find out that files/folders have not been backed up...

emret
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Was that just a bump!

It would be nice to have an update on this though!

Will_Restore
Level 6

Guessing that is what kproehl sees on restore attempt?

Genericus
   VIP   

Thanks for that info. Check the registry! LOL

I have also seen when backups are defined to not follow NFS or mount points, similar problems occur.

Many users have no idea where the data actually resides, they just see it as the D drive.

It could be mounted from another server or SAN attached storage, that the restore should be done from another place entirely.

Depends on the complexity of the environment.

When I get requests to restore stuff, my first action is to load up and go to the destination directory and validate exactly where it is, so I can know where to restore from.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS