cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Backup policy not allow encryption?

Mike_Tang
Level 4
Certified

Dear all,

I am new to encryption. Just I have created catalog backup policy in NBU 7.1 for windows 2008 R2. But, encyption option in policy is disabled.

So, how can I do if catalog backup need to use NBU encryption?

Thanks.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As you are new to encryption it is worth knwoing the following:

The Catalog Backup policy type automatically disables many options including encryption.

Media Server encryption can be used on any policy except direct NDMP backups (and Catalog)

Tape Library Encryption (such as Quantum Key Management) can be used for everything as it is applied at the tape drive so is not controlled by NetBackup

Client side encryption cannot be used for the following policy types:

FlashBackup
FlashBackup-Windows
NDMP
NetWare
OS/2
Vault

Hope this helps - dont forget when you are happy to mark the post as a Solution that answered your question to assist others looking for a similar issue in the future

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

encrypting catalog will be locking key in car.

This would be unfair if you encrypt catalog itself. Instead look archive policy (catarc) for Catalog archiving. Refer NBU Admin guide 1 for this.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No need to encrypt the catalog, there is no data in it as such, just a list of what was backed up.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Martin

jim_dalton
Level 6

Its just meta data in any case, data about data, its not yer actual data.

Make sure you do backup the sets of keys independantly of Netbackup otherwise you'll be sorry!

The keys arent on the catalog b/up.

Jim

Mike_Tang
Level 4
Certified

Thanks!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As you are new to encryption it is worth knwoing the following:

The Catalog Backup policy type automatically disables many options including encryption.

Media Server encryption can be used on any policy except direct NDMP backups (and Catalog)

Tape Library Encryption (such as Quantum Key Management) can be used for everything as it is applied at the tape drive so is not controlled by NetBackup

Client side encryption cannot be used for the following policy types:

FlashBackup
FlashBackup-Windows
NDMP
NetWare
OS/2
Vault

Hope this helps - dont forget when you are happy to mark the post as a Solution that answered your question to assist others looking for a similar issue in the future