cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSDP Dedup

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

How do i identify which method has used to create the Stoarge server, MSDP or Pure Disk. 

whne i do nbdevquery -liststs it shows all Puredisk. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PureDisk is a different software to NBU, it comes as software appliance which you install on your own hardware or in a form of NBU 50xx appliances. If you don't see those laying around then you may not have PureDisk.

Apparently if you have PureDisk, DR for it is not simple

MSDP is NBU built-in deduplication which comes along with NBU software.

For historical reasons they all named as PureDisk, it used to be the technology used in both

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mouse

Technically all MSDP are PureDisk or marked so.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

But incase my server crashed and whn i go for a rebuld, i must know what method i should select. I am not sure the current one is MSDP or Puredisk. I do i identify that.

Mouse

PureDisk is a different software to NBU, it comes as software appliance which you install on your own hardware or in a form of NBU 50xx appliances. If you don't see those laying around then you may not have PureDisk.

Apparently if you have PureDisk, DR for it is not simple

MSDP is NBU built-in deduplication which comes along with NBU software.

For historical reasons they all named as PureDisk, it used to be the technology used in both

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

"Pure" puredisk come as 5020 appliances. PureDisk installed on Windows/Linux are MSDP

Mouse

They can be software-only, too. I've got a handful of them rusting around.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

we have Appliance 5220 and 5230. The person who configured is not available now. I can see the disk pool as Puredisk, but in storage unit he mentioned as msdp.

There shoul be some option to find whether it configure by MSDP or Puredisk. Bcs i have one more appliance to configure and that shoild be same technology

Marianne
Level 6

Which server has crashed?

Your master or one of the Appliances?

Were the Appliances configured as Media servers or on of them as Master and another as media server?

If your master server has crashed, you need to recover NBU catalog.
Catalog recovery will restore Storage Server, Disk pools, and Storage Units.

If we know more about your environment and what exactly has crashed, we can try to point you in the right direction.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Nothing has crashed as of now, i said "INACSE".

My question is very simple. How do i identify wheter the current setup configured by MSDP or PureDisk. 

Marianne
Level 6

You probably meant IN CASE.

If you understand you storage on 5220 and 5230 works, you will know that it is MSDP. 
There is more than enough documentation available.

Mouse has answered your question.
Please mark his post as Solution.