Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magic within Netbackup for SQL backups

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

Recently during my visit at one of Netbackup customer i came to know a strange query. They have heterogenous environment protecting Windows and AIX with Messaging and Collaboration suites as well. One of their application was using SQL as back end so we preferred to take SQL DB backups initially. Their SQL DB was residing on "X" volume at the time of configuring backup jobs. everything was fine till due to storage issue they had to move the DB to another volume with higher capacity. This  movement of DB was not intimated to backup team. Nor backups failed even though physical path was changed.Whoooaaa!!!!

Later on backup admin came to know that path has been changed and was wondering how backups were going successfully. He even tried restoring one of them and it was intact.. it worked.....

He asked me about this... Firstly i was also amused with this complex behaviour netbackup handles. But it's great... I believe it is because of the bch file which we create for SQL backups. In this we don't specify the path of DB instead the DB name. So i believe Netbackup only points to DB and it doesn't looks for path in background.

Still i need expert comment and justification  as i don't want to assure customer blindly based on just my judgement.

It's better to be confident with technology and represent.

Awaiting to hear from experts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ronen
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

When you backup a Microsoft SQL server, NetBackup creates an ODBC connection according to the bch script. It does not care where the DB resides as long as the SQL server can "see" it. It then uses the ODBC connection to backup the selected DB.

Ron.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ronen
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

When you backup a Microsoft SQL server, NetBackup creates an ODBC connection according to the bch script. It does not care where the DB resides as long as the SQL server can "see" it. It then uses the ODBC connection to backup the selected DB.

Ron.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ronen is correct. Remember, NetBackup doesn't actually perform the backup. We actually ask SQL to send us the data, we just tell it which Database it has to send (as per the bch). SQL then finds it, and sends it to NetBackup. Thats why with databases you have application schedules, they indicate when SQL is allowed to SEND NetBackup its data.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanx for acknowledging and clarifying my duobts...

Thanx a lot