cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media Retention

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Experts,

I have to increase retention of the images from 1 month to 1 year.

Found we have 4 tapes that have all the required images and 18 images on these 4 tapes.

we dont have mutiple retention on tape

Got confusion. I believe i have 2 options

1:- Extend the required images on tape one by one. That means i am extending tapes retention.

or 

2:- Extend the tape rention to one year. No need to change all images one by one. 

Pls correct me if i am wrong on any part here.

Now 

When we select any media from volume pool it says on the properties as per attachment. 

Expiration date
Never
Date

Does it referring to point 2 ? which i mentioned above. In short by extending media retention to one more year  am i setting the tape expiry to next year? that would mean netbackup wont write anything on this tape after it expires next year.

Pls help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree - go for option 2:

2:- Extend the tape rention to one year. No need to change all images one by one. 

Use bpexpdate - NOT the expiration in the Media GUI.

The expiration in Media GUI is HARDWARE expiration - the date on which media is considered to be too old to be used anymore or faulty. It does not change anything about image retention.

bpexpdate is for IMAGE retention and expiration. 
If you use bpexpdate with media-id, all images on this media-id will get the new expiration date.

To see the clear difference between image retention and hardware expiration on a tape, use this command:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Change the expiration by media, this should change the expiration of the images associated to that media.

bpexpdate -m <media_id> -d mm/dd/yyyy

Then double check the image expiration on the images to ensure it has taken effect.

H_Sharma
Level 6

Thanks Revarooo,

So in this case you recommend i should go for media extention not all the images extention one by one?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree - go for option 2:

Use bpexpdate - NOT the expiration in the Media GUI.

The expiration in Media GUI is HARDWARE expiration - the date on which media is considered to be too old to be used anymore or faulty. It does not change anything about image retention.

bpexpdate is for IMAGE retention and expiration. 
If you use bpexpdate with media-id, all images on this media-id will get the new expiration date.

To see the clear difference between image retention and hardware expiration on a tape, use this command:

nbemmcmd -listmedia -mediaid <media-id>

H_Sharma
Level 6

Exactly Marianne.

Thanks that created the confusion, hardware part and thats what i was looking for.

:) :) :) :)

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified

Remember to always mark the correct answer, this assist others looking for the same solution in future.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
The problem with specifying by media id is that it runs through the entire image catalog list, and at large installations this used to take a long time, and uneccessarily stresses the NetBackup envrionment - when I know the images, I do them by image. Another thing about doing it by media, is that if they are any fragments of any other images on those media which you do not want to extend, well they get extended too, which then also effectively locks up any other media upon which the rest of the fragments of the other images reside upon.