cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to See files on 2008R2 Servers

rmahaffey
Level 4

I have a backup policy set for a drive on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  The backup completes successfully and I can see the image with its total size when I run a report.  However when I go to use the BAR I am unable to see files located in the sub-directories.  The size also says 0 for all of those folders.  I can see the the data in the folders if I go back to about 8 months ago.  Is there a way to see the data backed up since 8 months ago and what could have changed to cause this?  I am running the BAR as administrator.  Currently I am unable to restore anything from the past 8 months.  Thanks for your help.

28 REPLIES 28

rmahaffey
Level 4

I recieced errors when I ran the backup.

Unable to backup system state or shadow copy.  please check the state of VSS and associated Writers. INF Exit Status 69:  invalid filelist specification

done status 13 file read failed

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

check the specify path.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - if the paths are difficult to work out then can you do an ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES backup of the virtual server.

This will backup it all up, including its system state (SCC) (set some exlcudes if you need to)

Once we have that we can browse the BAR to see the correct structure and paths for your SCC to set the correct stream paths

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please check to see if there is more than one VSS provider.
Also check Event Viewer Application and System logs for errors.

See this TN for details: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158127

rmahaffey
Level 4

Ok I have set the snapshot provider to 1 and I am testing a backup now.  Do you think that the fact that these DFSR folders are shares is too much to handle for NBU?  Should I be using the UNC path rather than the shadow copy path?

Should the path for a DFSR shared folder look like this:

Shadow Copy Components:\\ServerName\FolderName

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See following TNs for path specification:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71076

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129022

Extract:

Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\<ObjectName>

See if you can use BAR GUI on file server to browse to the DFSR location as per 2nd TN.

rmahaffey
Level 4

The backup I am running currently after running the w2koption -backup -snapshotprovidertype 1 seems to be working correctly.  It is funny though that the job says it is 100% complete but is still acive and the estimated files is on and it is already up to 17000 files.  I will let you know if it worked when it is done.  Thanks guys. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The 100% complete is based on previous estimates from earlier runs of that policy - it will now have to recalculate and will be more accurate next time you run it - but that sounds good as it means this time you are backing up more data!

rmahaffey
Level 4

It looks like changing the snapshotprovidertype to 1 allowed it to complete the backup.  The job did fail to backu a small group of files but I will troubleshoot those seperately.  Thanks so much for your help!