cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do you have a question about NetBackup Vault?

Plux31
Level 2
What are the benefits of NetBackup Vault in NBU 6.5 or 7.0 ? Duplicating datas can be done by using SLP for example. Why should we use vault ? Just for putting cartdriges in the library CAP ? I don't see the advantage of using vault. Thanks for your help.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Vault is an extension to NetBackup that automates selection and duplication of

backup images and ejection of media for transfer to and from a separate, off-site

storage facility. NetBackup Vault also generates reports to track the location and

content of the media. Vault functionality does not have to be used only for disaster

recovery. You can use Vault to manage the data and the media that you store

off-site for regulatory archival purposes.

Will_Restore
Level 6

so yes, you could reproduce it on your own given a lot of time & effort.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I don't use vault, I see no added value for me.

But I am not a very big account.

I have 2 sites, one very small.

For me to eject tapes by hand does not take long.

But if I was a big site with  4 or 5 large robots. Vault would be very handy to help eject and keep track of tapes.  Knowing which tapes go to which robot....  lots of work for large sites.

bcblake
Level 4
Partner

Plus it does provide detailed media tracking (by offsite slot or by offsite container) and reporting, and integration (somewhat) with Iron Mountain.

Could you write those reports on your own? Sure with a significant amount of time and effort.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I use Iron Mountain, and with no big effort at all I know the dates of all my containers and open media.  and when they are to return.

It just comes down to how big your shop is and how much to have to have the details.

js88699
Level 5
Partner

I never used vault for duplication, but prior to 6.0 we ran the catalog backups.  I also find it very useful no matter how small the site/library to manage tapes getting ejected for offsite.  If you eject tapes manually, you can't run any of the reports to tell you what tapes are going offsite, what tapes are offsite, and when tapes are ready to come back onsite as scratch. (unless you manually update each tape when manually ejected to populate those fields.)  If you are not ejecting tapes, it would not be of much use.  But as others have said, if you are moving media in/out of a robotic library, it's very useful.

JH, how does IM know when your tapes have to come back, do you have to configure that when you send them?  When you send container XYZ, do you tell them to bring XYZ back in 6 months?  (Our tape work is a different group in our company, so I have not done that work in years and my last company had our own vault in a seperate building)  I work for a very large shop, but I have vault running at a very small site in the Bahammas and the local people love it.

Irfan_Ahmad
Level 4

Hi Everyone!

Infact we are using netvault and netbackup (6.0) softwares for our backups against one Tape Liberary solution. We have the following TL and softwares:

1) StorageTek L700 --> Tape liberary solution with 20-drives (10 for netbackup & 10 for netvault) with one cap (10 media capacity) & 632 media cells.

2) Netbackup 6.0 --> For our operational backups specially for oracle/OS related backups.

3) Netvault --> For our Teradata Datawarehouse machines backup because netbackup 6.0 is not support to our teradata solution.

4) ACSLS --> Its differeniate the ownership of media. Suppose, if you are inserting media in TL cap then ACSLS will decide the ownership of media. It will decide who will use this media for backups.

So, netvault is supporting to our latest solutions because its not possible for us to change the whole solution.

Regards,

Irfan Ahmad

Ching-Yoong
Level 3

Is it possible to run the Picking List for Vault report only early in the morning as a separate task without ejecting the tape?

If we could have the reports ready by 8am then we could get the tape needed from the offsite vault vendor delivered the same day they pick up tape ejected by vault at 11am.

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Does vault eject off-site tapes in all conditions..

I.e if i want to stop vault for some maintaince purpose and cancel it

or vault completes partially with error 306 or 308, will all vault eject all off-site tapes

OR

vault will only eject tapes if vault is succesful

therockyb
Level 4

Hi,

I am using Netbackup 7 with Vault, it is helpful since I have to manage different sites around the world and it simplifies the process when dealing with external technicians.

I have a question regarding Vault and how we can handle the media that are full.

Presently I configured Vault to exit every media that are used during the week-end, to do so I use the vault attributes ‘’schedules’’ and I select all my schedules that are used during the week-end (weekly full, monthly full and yearly full)

With this configuration I am able to send my tapes off-site every week and they come back when they expire.

My problem is with one of my smaller site, I only have an HP2024 and the problem with the actual configuration is that my media with normal daily schedules are getting full before they expire, because of that I eventually run out of tapes because they are all full and my Vault only eject the tapes used during the week-end.

My solution was to create a second Vault profile to once a week eject the Full media, the problem is that I was not able to find any way to configure Vault to eject the media that are Full.

Anybody would have a solution or an idea?

Thank you