Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading vxfs version to migrate from 5.0 to 5.1

Pascal92
Level 2

hello everybody

i have the same problème for cloning an production database between 2 servers

my server target is in solaris10_u9 ,  with VXVM 5.0 and VXFS 5.0

i need to upgrade olf vxfs version 5   to  version 6 or 7  for be use with SF5.1 ..

so i need  SP1P1HF1 ..

where i can find this Hotfix please? i can open a call but  i don"t have a lot of time..

bye

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

g_lee
Level 6

per technote 78028 ( http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH78028 :(

--------------------

Upgrading File Systems Post 5.1 Installation:

File systems must be upgraded prior to installing SF 5.1 because 5.1 no longer supports mounting version 4 and 5 file systems and the vxupgrade command requires that file systems be mounted before it can run.

A hotfix has been created that enables mounting version 4 and 5 file systems for the purposes of running vxupgrade to upgrade the disk layout version.  Actively using version 4 and 5 file systems without upgrading is not supported.   Please upgrade the disk layout version immediately to a supported version after the filesystem is mounted.  Please don't try to use any filesystem with disk layout version 4 or 5 with your application programs on SF 5.1.

If impacted by this situation, contact Symantec Support and request the following patch:

Hotfix 1 for Veritas File System 5.1RP1   ( VxFS 5.1RP1HF1 ) 

Hotfix 1 for Veritas File System 5.1RP2 on Linux    ( VxFS 5.1RP2HF1 on Linux )
Hotfix 1 for Veritas File System 5.1RP2 on Aix    ( VxFS 5.1RP2HF1 on AIX)
Hotfix 2 for Veritas File System 5.1RP2 on Solaris    (VxFS 5.1RP2HF2 on Solaris SPARC and x64)

The hotfix patches are cumulative and can be applied to any patch level VxFS5.1 installation (5.1 GA, 5.1P1, 5.1RP1).  

After the patch installation, file systems can be upgraded using the following procedure:

# mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/diskgroup/volume /mountpoint
# vxupgrade -n 5 /mountpoint  (for version 4 file systems)
# vxupgrade -n 6 /mountpoint
# vxupgrade -n 7 /mountpoint

--------------------

ie: you need to contact Symantec Support to obtain this hotfix patch.

Note: if your existing systems are already running VxFS 5.0, this supports disk layout version 6 and 7 already, so you could upgrade the filesystem before you upgrade to SF 5.1 (ie: if you are already on 5.0, you may not need the hotfix, as long as you upgrade the disk layout before you upgrade to SF 5.1)

reference: https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.0/solaris/html/fs_admin/ag_ap_layout_fs2.html

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

g_lee
Level 6

per technote 78028 ( http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH78028 :(

--------------------

Upgrading File Systems Post 5.1 Installation:

File systems must be upgraded prior to installing SF 5.1 because 5.1 no longer supports mounting version 4 and 5 file systems and the vxupgrade command requires that file systems be mounted before it can run.

A hotfix has been created that enables mounting version 4 and 5 file systems for the purposes of running vxupgrade to upgrade the disk layout version.  Actively using version 4 and 5 file systems without upgrading is not supported.   Please upgrade the disk layout version immediately to a supported version after the filesystem is mounted.  Please don't try to use any filesystem with disk layout version 4 or 5 with your application programs on SF 5.1.

If impacted by this situation, contact Symantec Support and request the following patch:

Hotfix 1 for Veritas File System 5.1RP1   ( VxFS 5.1RP1HF1 ) 

Hotfix 1 for Veritas File System 5.1RP2 on Linux    ( VxFS 5.1RP2HF1 on Linux )
Hotfix 1 for Veritas File System 5.1RP2 on Aix    ( VxFS 5.1RP2HF1 on AIX)
Hotfix 2 for Veritas File System 5.1RP2 on Solaris    (VxFS 5.1RP2HF2 on Solaris SPARC and x64)

The hotfix patches are cumulative and can be applied to any patch level VxFS5.1 installation (5.1 GA, 5.1P1, 5.1RP1).  

After the patch installation, file systems can be upgraded using the following procedure:

# mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/diskgroup/volume /mountpoint
# vxupgrade -n 5 /mountpoint  (for version 4 file systems)
# vxupgrade -n 6 /mountpoint
# vxupgrade -n 7 /mountpoint

--------------------

ie: you need to contact Symantec Support to obtain this hotfix patch.

Note: if your existing systems are already running VxFS 5.0, this supports disk layout version 6 and 7 already, so you could upgrade the filesystem before you upgrade to SF 5.1 (ie: if you are already on 5.0, you may not need the hotfix, as long as you upgrade the disk layout before you upgrade to SF 5.1)

reference: https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.0/solaris/html/fs_admin/ag_ap_layout_fs2.html