cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidated backup

fatra
Level 2

Dear All,

Regarding the consolidated  backup, has anyone already implement this yet ?

When I look at the documentation, it appears that Consolidated backup does not work with non-windows guest OS for file-level backups.  I will need to see if this holds true, or if i can still do the file backups when SOlaris 10 is the guest OS on VMWare.

Currently now we are using VMWare vSPhere 4.1 These virtual machines reside on a FC SAN, and should also integrate with Veritas NetBackup and Backup Exec and we want to implement Netbackup 7.1.

Now we still review what kind of the method of the backup (best practise).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fatra

5 REPLIES 5

fatra
Level 2

Dear All,

Herewith the documentation that i already read regarding consolidated backup on VMware.

For detail please see the atachment file.

Thanks,

Fatra

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

VCB is obsoluted and will be discontinued. Why don't you use vStorage API for Data Protection(vADP)?
Read this guide for detail.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3663

Now, NetBackup for VMware supports individual file restore on Windows and Linux, but not support on Solaris x64.

rizwan84tx
Level 6
Certified

VMware Consolidated backup does not support file-level backup for Non-Windows Guest. Only Image level is supported.

VCB proxy server is always Windows, In file-level backup, guest filesystem are mounted on VCB staging area; VCB and that does not support mounting of UNIX file system getting mounted on the windows File system for backup.

If you would like to take File-level backup of Unix guests go for vStorage-API  or native client backup.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Fatra, your linked doc is a bit dated.  Please review this one:

http://www.hpcollateral.com/Files/HPDiscover2011/Symantec%20Veritas%20Netbackup.pdf

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Fatra, Yasuhisa has provided the link to the 7.1 manual. Thumbs up to Bill for his sense of humor!

If you search this forum, you will see that just about everyone is using the NBU option for VMWare.