Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubts on VxVM,VCS Upgrade & root disk encapsulation

M_Danish
Level 3

Hi All,

I have the below queries please

1) In order to stop VxVM to load at system boot time, we need to modify /etc/system file.

What entries are to be commented out ?

Is it only

rootdev:/pseudo/vxio@0:0
set vxio:vol_rootdev_is_volume=1

(OR) also below entries are to be commented out ?

forceload: drv/vxdmp
forceload: drv/vxio
forceload: drv/vxspec

2) My current version of SFHA is 4.1. Once vxfen, gab & llt modules are unloaded to upgrade to 4.1MP2, should i again unload these modules
    to further upgrade to 5.1SP1 and again to 5.1SP1RP4 (OR) 6.0 ? After each upgrade should i stop the
    services in /etc/init.d and unload modules (OR) stopping services & unloading modules only once is
    enough to further upgrade to other versions ?

My Plan is to upgrade from 4.1---> 4.1 MP2---> 5.1SP1--->5.1SP1RP4 (OR) 6.0

3) Before upgrading should i also stop & unload the below listed modules

24  12800a8  26920 268   1  vxdmp (VxVM 4.1z: DMP Driver)
   25 7be00000 2115c8 269   1  vxio (VxVM 4.1z I/O driver)
   27  12a4698   13f0 270   1  vxspec (VxVM 4.1z control/status driver)
  213 7b2d7528    c40 272   1  vxportal (VxFS 4.1_REV-4.1B18_sol_GA_s10b)
  214 7ae00000 1706a8  20   1  vxfs (VxFS 4.1_REV-4.1B18_sol_GA_s10b)

If yes, should i stop & unload after each upgrade (OR) doing it once is enough ?

4) Once the OS comes up with native disks (c#t#d#s#), In order to bring it under VxVM control we need to 
    encapsulate using vxdiskadm. My doubt is will rootdg, rootvol, plexes & subdisks be created
    automatically? Need a little clarification regarding this please.

Response is highly appreciated as always,
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Danish.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rajendra_Singh
Level 3

1. In case your root disk is under vxVM and you want to boot it from slice then below entries need to be removed from /etc/system file.

Below entries are to be removed if you do not want to load vxvm modules at startup.

You can also touch (additionally) install-db file to stop vxvm from starting at boot time. This will stop auto start of vxconfigd daemon.

2 & 3. During upgrade, installer should be doing all module unload. I am not 100% sure though for those older versions. If at all unloading module manually is required, you will need to do it for every upgrade.

4. Yes, rootdg, plexes will be created automatically once you encapsulate root disk successfully.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Rajendra_Singh
Level 3

1. In case your root disk is under vxVM and you want to boot it from slice then below entries need to be removed from /etc/system file.

Below entries are to be removed if you do not want to load vxvm modules at startup.

You can also touch (additionally) install-db file to stop vxvm from starting at boot time. This will stop auto start of vxconfigd daemon.

2 & 3. During upgrade, installer should be doing all module unload. I am not 100% sure though for those older versions. If at all unloading module manually is required, you will need to do it for every upgrade.

4. Yes, rootdg, plexes will be created automatically once you encapsulate root disk successfully.